We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

London
12 posts
Save Topic
Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

Hi all,

My husband and I are travelling to New York for the 1st time on the 5th July. We are travelling from the UK arriving into JFK at 11am. Please could you have a look at my plans and let me know whether they are realistic?

I know that not everyone likes to do this but I love to know what I'm doing and even were I'm eating and have as much booked before I go, kinda feel that I am making the most of my holiday that way.

My husband isn’t keen on shellfish but apart from that we love all types of food. We’d like to book some evening meals maybe one high end (max $200) and the others medium priced ($50). We love places that serve pancakes for breakfast and any recommendations on places to pick up great coffee and snacks on our route would be great.

Also travel between sites/museums would be really helpful. I'll be 6 months pregnant but that shouldn't make too much of a difference, possible not too many late nights!

Saturday 5th July

- Arrive JFK at 11. Travel via cab to hotel which is on 54th street, I'm guessing that we'll arrive here about 3pm.

- I thought about going to Central Park and taking a boat and horse carriage so we have a relaxing start to our day.

- Dinner about 6 - any suggestions

- Top of the rocks booked for 8.25 to try and see the sunset.

- Then onto time square.

Sunday 6th July

- Breakfast - ?

- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island 9.00am

- Lunch - ?

- Then we need to be back at our hotel by 1.00pm.

- 3.30 go for a walk over Brooklyn bridge.

- Dinner ? and show ?

- Might have to change this as most shows start at 3.00pm on Sunday afternoon. Think we might try Lion Kind

Monday 7th July

Thought we might walk around the locations listed below.

- Breakfast ?

- Grand Central station

- Chrysler building

- New York library

- Lunch? 12.30

- Empire State Building 1.30pm

- Intrepid sea, space museum (3 hours here) 3pm

- Dinner – 6.00pm ?

- Michael Buble concert 8.00pm - tickets bought

Tuesday 8th July

- Breakfast - ?

- World trade centre - museum and memorial

- St Paul's Church

- Lunch - ?

- Greenwich Village

- Dinner - ?

- Mets base ball game

Wednesday 9th July

- Breakfast - ?

- Shopping

- Lunch - ?

- River trip and then fly back at 9.30pm.

Is this do able? Anything that you think we’ve missed off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

I picked up a recommendation for http://www.menupages.com/ here on these boards, and used it extensively for planning my meals on my last trip. I used it everyday for deciding where I'd have breakfast for example - I sometimes chose places near my hotel and sometimes in the area where I'd start the day. You can filter on areas, cuisnies etc which makes it very useful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

wouldnt do the carriage ride

get lion tickets from ticketmaster.com - they are no discounts available

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

i would not do the carriage ride either - there are serious animal welfare issues.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

Your hotel is on 54th Street, but the street extends for about 2 miles across Manhattan. If you are more specific about the hotel location you will get better suggestions for places you may want that are nearby such as breakfast spots.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

It may well be very very hot/humid so you may want to factor weather into some of your days where you seem to be outdoors quite a lot; it can get tiring and uncomfortable to be out and walking around in it for many hours. Have some back up indoor spots if and when it gets unbearable to be outside.

I wouldn't book outdoor spots for views for any given day because we do get thunderstorms pretty often in summer months and it would be a shame to count on having a view on such a day/evening.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

I second the concern about the hot weather, having been pregnant in NYC in the summer. carry a LOT of water and make sure you know where public bathrooms are, as well. Also, if you are a spa person, there is a nice prenatal spa (massages, etc.) on 57th street, which might make a nice break for you, maybe on your wednesday:

destinationmaternity.com/Shop_Edamamespa.asp

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

Looks like a great itinerary. A few potential timing issues:

With 9am tickets to SOL and Ellis Island, it may be a rush to get back to your hotel by 1pm. This can take a good 3-4 hours.

Monday:

- The Intrepid closes at 5pm, so you you are able to arrive at your target time of 3pm, you will have 2 hours rather than 3.

- It could be very hot and sweaty. You may want to return to your hotel to shower and change before heading to dinner and the concert.

Tuesday:

If you haven't already done so, you should book tickets for the 911 memorial museum: www.911memorial.org/visit-911-memorial-museum

It looks like the game is at 7:10. It may take around 50 minutes to get there by subway from Greenwich Village (give or take, depending on your exact starting point). I'd plan on "grazing" while exploring the Village in the late afternoon. You'll find lots of tempting options. There is also food at the stadium.

London
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Maxisweden - I'm going to check out the menupages

LMVManchester - I've booked the Lion King tickets through ticketmaster

Basinstoke Cambridge - I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn - 237 West 54th Street

AKMomNewYork - Love the spa idea. Have contacted them to see how to book this

Christnp2 - some great suggestions, I'll book the memorial museum.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

walk over to 9th ave, just west of your hotel, for food. you can get a good breakfast at route 66 cafe or giorgios , both slightly north on 9th.

10. Re: Booked a babymoon holiday - 4 nights 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17