We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Plaster Fell From the 52-Foot-Tall Ceiling in May.

The New York Public Library's Rose Main Reading Room will remain closed for the next six months for inspection and repairs after a plaster rosette fell from its ceiling in May, library officials said Monday.

The reading room is the jewel of the library's flagship Fifth Avenue building, which draws 2.3 million visits a year. The room's 52-foot-tall ceilings are adorned with painted clouds and other decorations molded in plaster.

…wsj.com/articles/the-new-york-public-librar…

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

I was very sorry to hear this news. However, from the perspective of someone who lives here and uses (or used) it, have to say is not quite the great loss it would have been for me before it was overrun with tourists, folks taking photos and chatting, etc. Recently has become more of just another NY tourist site and less of a real library.

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Thanks idrinkwater for letting us know. I had it on my list of things to visit in July. Without the reading room, would it still be worth a visit? Sorry QQ2.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

It is still a very impressive building worth stopping by if you are in the area. There are other areas, some special collections with exhibitions, etc. that are interesting, if not as dramatically beautiful as the main reading room. They are reporting that to compensate for the loss of Rose they will providing additional space in other parts of the area, including some not normally open to the public, but I have no idea how attractive (or not) they are. These could be simply areas they are setting up for people who need to work, use a computer, etc.

chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Thanks QQ2! I will probably still stop by...I heard the Children's book exhibit and Aster Hall are worth seeing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

It's all still worth checking out.

Do the free tour, it's a good one.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Both the map room and the periodical rooms are lovely, as is the room beyond the reading room.....the art and architecture reading room....

But I'm encouraging tourists....sorry QQ2.... I never take photos or talk.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

There was previously a small plaster fall in the Catalog Room, but this was deemed uneventful and left unrepaired. I suspect roof leaks may be factor in this. If this had happened after the start of the now aborted work to remove the stacks, the library would never hear the end of it. Strangely, this will likely not inconvenience "readers" as the vast majority simply use the room as a place to plug in their laptops or watch movies on the library terminals. I did a count once and it was 2 out of nearly 300 that were actually using books.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Most people go there to use the free internet.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

If you are a Winnie the Pooh fan, the original stuffed animals are housed in the Children's Reading Room.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYPL Rose Main Reading Room Closed for Six Months

Hi, Anybody have any idea when this re opens. I know 6 months takes us into December, but I Was really looking forward to seeing this. We are in NYC November

Thanks