We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sport in New York, September 2014

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sport in New York, September 2014

Hi all!

As a family of five, with kids aged 3-11, we'd like to see some kind of sport in New York.

We will be there from the afternoon of Wednesday 17-sunday 21 September.

Ideally we'd like basketball, ice hockey, American football or cheerleading (my daughter does gymnastics). We don't mind men's or women's sport - just something with an exciting atmosphere. We aren't keen on baseball...

I have tried looking, but it seems that we are between seasons... it seems hockey starts in October, and basketball starts end of September.

Could anyone advise of any sporting events (pre season games?) for about $20ish per person?

Thanks in advance!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

You may want to look into college games. $20 is very low for professional sports tickets.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

$20 will not get you professional sports in NYC. Here's what's playing.

Perhaps some professional soccer on the 20th?

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/schedule (Tickets start at $25 each)

Some New Jersey style football on the 21st?

giants.com/games-and-schedules/schedule.html (Tickets start at $110 each)

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

The nearest colleges with big-time athletics would be St. John's and Rutgers. Neither appear to be playing big games at home your weekend.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

Thanks for your info, I think it will be out of our price range.

On the Sunday, 21st, we will be driving from NY to Niagara - would we be likely to find any college games anywhere between those location?. (The plan is for a leisurely drive, stopping at places of interest, so no set itinerary at this stage.)

Thanks again

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

Syaracuse would be but college but some college programs are more expensive than pros. Look at pre season hockey.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

On Sept 20, 2014 Fordam is Playing Columbia in college football

The Stadium is at the tip of Manhattan.

I saw tickets for $56 on Seat Geek, but maybe they are cheaper elsewhere, Ive never gone to a Columbia Football game

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

And the only place you would probably see cheerleaders are at the college football games.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

Columbia football is of abysmal quality and usually poorly attended. It's just not a sports school.

Syracuse is playing Maryland in football on the evening of the 20th. That would be a good game. You would probably be able to get tickets on Stubhub for around $40-50.

Buffalo has a professional football team. Right near Niagara Falls, and they're playing San Diego on the 21st. Tickets start at $60.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 04:05
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

I always thought Columbia games were a lot of fun. You went to cheer for the irreverent halftime show by the band more than anything else.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sport in New York, September 2014

Maybe Columbia footnall is Bad, But I think Ive heard Fordham Football is decent