We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Hi there,

My mum and I are arriving at NYC tomorrow evening. I've kept a close eye on the weather which has been changeable!! Unfortunately I'm the sort of person who really feels both the heat and the cold. A few days ago it was due to be very hot between 26 and 30 degrees but now my app says 21 on Saturday and cloudy? I was thinking of light cotton dresses and skirts/shorts and vests but now I'm wondering whether I need jumpers and cropped trousers in case it's a bit chilly/breezy? Obviously will be packing an umbrella too. Also, Friday night we are going to an outdoor gig. It looks hot Friday so assuming it wil stay hot-ish in the evening?

Many thanks in advance.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

When I look at the weather in NYC on Accuweather, it says the high every day for the rest of the week is between 26 C and 30 C, and believe it or not, 30 C is not that hot in NYC; it often gets to 35 C (mid-90s F).

Dress for British summer, bring one jumper (just in case), and trousers just as a replacement for skirts. Skirts are better at night than shorts; you'll look less like a tourist. Also, because there is so much concrete and so many tall buildings (many more than London). So that makes the air less breezy and feeling hotter than it actually is.

The nightly low is 18 C or above which probably won't seem that cold to you.

It sounds like your original plans were just right, but add one jumper or light vest to be sure. Some places have strong air conditioning, so the hotter it is outside, the colder it might be inside.

And in the US, we use Farenheit temps, sweater for jumper, and , to tell the truth, I am not sure what a vest is in the UK, and people will say pants and not mean undergarments.

Ta....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

You may need a sweater/jumper or light fiat for anything outdoor. It's good insurance to come prepared. You can always take it off if you are warm.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

vest = waistcoat, tank = vest. sweater = jumper, jumper = pinafore-dress. underskirt = slip, slip = tanga.

just so you know, lol.

i'm having the same dilemna, and i know nyc quite well. the thing is - there are lots and lots of shops! wrong clothes = shopping opportunity, in my book...

i take a fleece. cosy on the flight, which can be chilly, and handy if the weather turns bad.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Very useful thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Argh, there was me thinking there wasn't going to be a language barrier on this holiday! Ha ha, I like your thinking re wrong clothes = perfect excuse to shop!

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Remember that the temperature depends where you are at in NYC. As the ocean is still cool, areas with wind coming onshore will be colder than places more inland. The reverse is true in winter and Flushing can be 10 degrees F warmer than the West Bronx which is not all that far away. If you plan a ride on a boat, dress more warmly than otherwise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

A smart traveler is prepared for all eventualities. You'll need a jacket or jumper (sweater) anyway for air conditioning. Be prepared for 60-90f.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

**Be prepared for 60-90f.**

^^

This.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

meant to read "light JACKET" on post 2. It comes in handy even in August!!!

francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes dilemmas- this weekend! ?

Lots of times you will need something for the indoor cold air conditioning. I usually tie a long lightweight shawl around my purse for those occasions.