We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EWR to Manhattan PENN Station 4th July! Help

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
EWR to Manhattan PENN Station 4th July! Help

Hi all Trip Advisors!

1st let me thank you in advance! I am really bad a directions and don't want to waste time getting lost.

we arrive 4th July @7:50pm on United to EWR from Aruba on a long layover...

Staying @ Courtyard Chelsea @ 135 W 30th St (Near NY Penn Station)

Traveling with my mom & 13 yr old son...

a couple of questions:

Is taxi to New Jersey Penn advisable due to being a holiday & the air tram suspension?

or still use the buses to New Jersey Penn to transfer to NY Penn?

trying to save time, but I heard that New Jersey taxi's CAN scam you ... etc (what ever the politically correct term is) :)

When in New Jersey Penn:

*Where are the trains that go to NY? I see on google maps its either the North East Corridor or the New Jersey Coast?

What exit do we use in NY Penn?

lastly, can we buy return tickets at the same time as we buy the EWR-NY Penn/

Sorry for the long email! and I really appreciate the help!

Sincerely,

Yesi :)

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: EWR to Manhattan PENN Station 4th July! Help

Perhaps this might help as a translation:

Cash = both paper bills, and metal coins. The common alternatives to cash would be a check, or a transaction using either a credit card or a debit card. If one says a machine takes cash, that usually means it takes either bills or coins. If payment is limited to coins, and bills are not accepted (as on a New York City bus when one doesn't use a MetroCard), then we would say "you pay in coins" rather than "you pay in cash".

Bills= paper money. It would be rare to hear an American refer to a "$100 note"; we would say a "$100 bill".

If the machine accepts $50 bills, then you could put them in the machine. Be aware, though, that $50 and $100 bills are not nearly as commonly used by US residents as they seem to be by tourists, and many places will be reluctant to take them, especially for small purchases. You may also find machines or even businesses that will not accept anything larger than a $20 bill. For my part, I almost never use anything larger than a $20 bill, and if for some reason I am in a situation that I am offered one (such as by a bank teller, or while getting cash back with a store purchase) I always ask for smaller bills, because a $50 or a $100 bill is just too much trouble. (Of course, if someone handed me a stack of cash saying "here are a thousand $100 bills for you!", I would not say no to that!)

Linda

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: EWR to Manhattan PENN Station 4th July! Help

I don't see the point of Heather's advice. Your hotel is only about a block or so from Penn Station. There's no particular reason to expect that walk to be particularly crowded. It's nowhere near where the fireworks will be.

13. Re: EWR to Manhattan PENN Station 4th July! Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16