We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this be done?

Crandall, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Can this be done?

THANK YOU for any suggestions on the itinerary below - 3 days for our FIRST family trip to NYC in July. We're staying in Brooklyn Hts area as home base. We are not big museum people nor do we drink so bars are of no interest. Want our 2 teenagers to have a great time and a mix of culture/history.

I do NOT know if the subway stops below are correct, but went from a subway map I had printed. Please make any suggestions, tips, or changes as you see fit w/ the timing aspect of traffice, etc. Here goes:

Sunday - (easier commute day of the 3)

-10-4 private tour ending somewhere near 2nd ave

-5:30 Stomp show at Orpheum Theater

-Dinner & window shopping near theater area

-Subwayback to home base

Monday -

-8 a.m. - subway to Columbus Circle (A-C) to explore Central Park south

-10 a.m.- guided tour of Central Park middle section by Free Tours

-noon-exit Central Park near Plaza Hotel for shopping, walk 59th to Roosevelt Tram ride, lunch on Roosevelt Island

-2 p.m. - subway (Lex 53 E-V, to 81st B-C) back to Natural History Museum for short visit (I know it makes sense to do it at 10 when it opens, but that's the only day we're here to do Central Park tour at 10 too)

-5 p.m. - subway to Rockefeller /47-50th St (unclear on this subway transfer-is it 81st B-C x to 59th St A-D to 47-50th B-D?) walk around few blocks to NBA store, Nintendo World, and then timed ticket to Top of Rock at 7:00 - 9:00

-9:30 p.m. - Walk from Top of Rock to Times Squre for nighttime visit

-11:00 p.m. - Subway back to home base

Tuesday

-8 a.m. - Subway to Bowling Green (4-5) to see some of Battery Park, Sphere, Wall Street Bull, then onto 9/11 memorial museum (new one just opened)

-10:00-2:00 - Tour of 9/11 museum and fountains

-2:00 - Subway to Staten Island Ferry (Courtlandt St R to Whitehall R)

-2:30 - Staten Island Ferry, lunch at Staten Island (possibly Giuseppe's pizza on Hyatt?)

-3:30 - Subway to Flatiron area (R to 23rd St), walk on Broadway north to Herald Square, Macy's, then onto Empire State (not taking tour there), Bryant Park, NY Library, to Grand Central

-5:00 - See Grand Central, find somewhere to eat dinner at GCT

-6:30 - Subway to Union Square (4-6) to see the square

-7:00 - Subway to Chelsea market (14th St L to 8th Ave)

-7:30 - Browse Chelsea market

-8:00 - Subway to Brooklyn (14th St A-C to High St A-C) to hopefully catch sunset on Brooklyn Promenade, see carousel, try some pizza (Grimaldi's or Juliana's)

-9:30 - Back to home base to rest and pack up for trip home

I really want to see Governor's Island, but can't seem to fit it into the schedule!

I've tried to do as much research as I can on subways, locations, etc. I just have no idea on the timing of it all dependent upon time of day and day of week. Thank you, cheers and God speed and safe travels!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can this be done?

**Even with security, is it really 4 hours to visit the 9/11 Memorial?**

Yep. I spent 3 1/2 hours there and could have stayed longer. Security took all of 5 minutes. (I am of course referring to the Museum.) No security at the Memorial anymore.

**-10:00-2:00 - Tour of 9/11 museum and fountains

-2:00 - Subway to Staten Island Ferry (Courtlandt St R to Whitehall R)**

You can walk down Broadway to get to the SI Ferry. No need to take the subway IMO. I mean, if it is VERY hot and you want to get on the train for 2 stops, then you can jump on the train.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 15:12
Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can this be done?

All my customers who've been to the 9/11 Museum have said it takes around 4 hours. (I haven't been yet).

Remember that trains are quite crowded between 8 - 9 AM, and 5 - 6:30 PM.

You wrote: "-5 p.m. - subway to Rockefeller /47-50th St (unclear on this subway transfer-is it 81st B-C x to 59th St A-D to 47-50th B-D?)"

Wait at 81st for the B. It'll take you directly to Rockefeller Center.

About Grand Central, there are 19 locally owned restaurants in its basement.

@Tourguidestan on Twitter

USA
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can this be done?

Never heard of that tour company, sure others here may know about them? 6 hours is a long tour and it seems rather expensive? Tours are a great way to see the city, but I prefer a smaller tour, 2 hour tours for example.

Two other companies that offer shorter tours, just for comparison:

www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

http://www.bigonion.com

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Can this be done?

I agree that the tour realnewyorktours.com/tour_detail… seems a bit pricey.

But mainly it seems too ambitious to try to see and absorb that much in that amount of time. I'm not sure it would really give you an orienting lay-of-the-land feeling.

The tours linked above are worth considering. Devoting each day to a tour of an specific area and then wandering afterward might be a better alternative.

You may not have enough time in advance to get one, but look into a http://bigapplegreeter.org/

These sites also have a lot of self-guided walking tours that you could use as neighborhood guides:

walkingoffthebigapple.com/p/nyc-self-guided-…

brainiacgetaways.com/manhattan-by-foot-20-fr…

centralparknyc.org/tours/…walking-tours.html

freetoursbyfoot.com/self-guided-greenwich-vi…

http://www.downtownny.com/walkingtours

Edited: 19 June 2014, 23:07
USA
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Can this be done?

To add to what Kaye mentioned, you could also do a short tour in the morning, explore some, then do another tour in the afternoon or evening. Just some other options.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can this be done?

The exhibits that you might find more appealing at the Natural History Museum might be the dinosaur bones (4th floor) that are impressive for their size and the mineral exhibit (1st floor) which is very pretty with remarkable gemstones. The meteorite collection just outside the mineral department is a curiosity.

Governor's Island is most interesting for the forts and the view of Manhattan. The Staten Island Ferry provides the same views, though not a stationary one. The ferry round trip is about an hour. Usually they chase you off the boat at Staten Island, but if you walk quickly to the waiting area, you can usually catch the departing boat. Castle Clinton (free) in Battery Park near the ferry terminal is something like what you would see on Governor's Island.

Crandall, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can this be done?

TourguideStan-thanks for the subway & dining tips.

Springrandy & Kaye-I do undestand the tour seems a bit long and the price is the single most exp thing we'll do in NYC besides hotel. However, it is a one-one-one private tour with a guy that I think will be money well spent. I do appreciate the other links, however, for the guided wallking tour. The tour company is rated #2 out of all the tour companies in NYC and has superior reviews, but probably isn't used as often b/c of price. We feel confident in our tour choice for this one though.

Fox, thanks for the Castle Clinton tip, it would save us time from going to Gov Island. Another person said, however, that Battery Park is pretty much closed due to construction. Would it be available to see in July?

Thank you all ever so much for the info.

USA
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Can this be done?

Ok, one on one private tour, then I get the price. It's still a lot to take in during that time, but the one on one makes it much more intimate.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can this be done?

You can get to the Castle and part of the promenade in Battery Park (that's where the SOL boats leave from) but most of the north end is fenced off for construction. You should check back just before your trip because construction schedules in NYC are unpredictable.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 04:12
20. Re: Can this be done?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16