We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aladdin or Matilda

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Aladdin or Matilda

Hello all

I would like to pre book a show before we go, we are 2 adults and have seen Lion King, Cinderella and Rock of Ages on previous visits. The 2 shows I had picked out was Matilda and Aladdin, i know they are popular so chances of getting a discounted ticket on the day are slim to none. I was just seeing what people thought out of the 2. Also where would be best to sit, would you suggest the Orchestra or the Mezzanine.

Many Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

I haven't seen Aladdin yet, but my girls, ages 12 and 15, and I adored Matilda on our recent trip. We scored orchestra seats for a Saturday matinee in early June at TKTS. We were farther back, row P, which was great for the big numbers. Personally, for musicals, I prefer the center mezzanine so I can see the full stage well.

It's a risk for Matilda at TKTS since it's still selling so well, but a weeknight would be a better bet than a weekend. I wouldn't rely on TKTS at all for Aladdin.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

Matilda is generally believed to be the significantly better show, but if you like familiar plots and stories you might prefer Aladdin.

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

Matilda.....??? My granddaughter is 5 and became very upset because the adults were "mean". She started to cry so I had to take her out in the middle of the first act. I think she was too young. We're going to Aladdin in August.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

The poster says two adults will be attending the show.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

You took a five-year-old to a Broadway show?!? Yikes. I agree she was too young. She's too young for Aladdin, also. Maybe take her to a show designed for little kids instead? I think the Victory theater has such things.

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

You're right, I misread the post.

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

Thank you, I have heard good things about both, but I have also been reading some good reviews about newsies, (i have not seen the film, will i still enjoy it?) so many choices and so little time to enjoy them!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

Newsies is full of energy and great dancing. If someone needs to see a film version before seeing a story done on stage, then there's something wrong with the stage production. :-)

There should be a discount code for it as well at Broadwaybox.com and Playbill.com

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

Just to play devil's advocate, I didn't care for Matilda. I am a 60 some year old female who didn't read Dahl growing up. I found the dialogue extremely hard to follow especially the lead female. I felt vindicated when, a few months ago, there was a report in the NY Times about English accents in plays & Matilda was considered the hardest accent to understand.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aladdin or Matilda

On the other hand, my daughters and I had no trouble understanding the dialogue/accents in Matilda. :-)