We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conflicted about Jean-Georges

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Conflicted about Jean-Georges

Labor Day trip to NYC planning in full swing. There is only 1 night available in the (amazing, I hope) itinerary I am crafting for a swanky dinner. It is Saturday. After researching the he11 out of "best New York City restaurants", I keep coming up with Jean-Georges. I really do want to go there. But...

From the web site's pictures, it appears that the dining room is much prettier in the daytime. Can anyone comment upon the "gloomy-ness" of the dining room at night? When I went to EMP, I was a little disappointed that the nice view wasn't very appreciably after dark (we did eat insanely late).

I do know about the great lunch deal at Jean-Georges. Unfortunately, lunch is not an option -- too many other things to do every day! If JG served brunch, that would solve everything, but it looks like they don't.

TA'ers, please advise...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

It IS a dark, gloomy dining room with no view (the windows, IIRC, are high up the walls). It was also one of the best meals we've ever had. It was several years ago, and it is the only tasting menu that I can actually remember each and every one of the courses.

Even in the daylight, I believe Nougatine would have the better views (of the park across the street) because I believe they are in front of J-G. Maybe he was going for a "I want you to focus on what's on your plate, not what is around you".

J-G might be a bit brighter in the summer, too...we were there in November on a dark and stormy night.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 21:54
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

We so don't care about views here (at least the food focused among us). Views and exceptional food rarely go hand in hand in NYC. I doubt anyone who goes to per se really cares that they're getting a tree level view of the park - not an aerial one. I don't think of Jean Georges as gloomy, but I'm probably not as impacted by the room as you are.

In NYC you are almost guaranteed that a restaurant with a view will be mediocre. Someone keeps recommending Robert - institutional food with a view!

suitcaseready.com

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

Robert is not even in the same ballpark, foodwise. Unfair to compare. Robert has its place as a moderately priced place with good (not stellar, world class) food AND a view.

I just looked at some picture of J-G and it definitely looks much brighter in the day, but I liked the "gloom" as well.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 22:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

They have a brunch menu...

jean-georgesrestaurant.com/nougatine-and-ter…

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

LoL I'm going to Robert for brunch on that Sunday! Sort of for the view (as frequently mentioned here by nywhiz), but also to check out a whole new (for me) museum.

I'm leaning toward not having dinner at J-G. I've had enough over-hyped, over-priced tasting menu experiences to have one more in a gloomy room. I think I'll go to J-G for lunch on next year's trip. I realize the "view" isn't quite one as such, but I'd prefer to see some sunshine and daylight and be able to look out the windows at something while I eat at such a swanky spot.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

What was it James Carville said ? "It's the food, dummy!" :) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I am tempted to say you will be blown away by the food and you won't think twice about the room. But it sounds like the room is more/as important to you as the food. So I won't. You'll miss a heckuva meal tho.

Maybe google glass could help here ? Some Nougatine virtual reality superimposed around your table at J.G. ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

I love the room of Jean Georges, aside from the food, it is about the style.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

Mmmm, it was the food for us.

Funny, I was feeling nostalgic the other day and went back and read my TR from that meal.

All I can say is wow, it was like reliving it.

Top 3...errr make that 2....hmmm, I'd have to honestly say close to 1 (maybe a tie with the FL). No, J-G was more interesting...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,976 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

What is FL?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conflicted about Jean-Georges

French Laundry in the CA wine country. I figured the OP (being from SF) would know.

Same chef (Thomas Keller) as Per Se.