We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island City hotels

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Long Island City hotels

Now that I've cancelled my reservation through AirBnB, and there aren't hotels in my price range in the area near that property (where family friends live nearby), I don't really care that we're located in the heat of things, I just want to save some $$$.

Currently... Looking at hotels in Long Island City but unsure that any stick out as being better than others. Country Inn and Suites has a fridge and microwave in the room, which would be nice. And seems close to the subway.

I'd rather not spend more than $960 in total, including taxes (so before taxes & fees this is around $200/night), and would love to spend even less.

There are 2 adults and 1 child (age 6). We can share a King bed if the hotel allows. Looking for something that is walking distance to the subway where we will feel safe even at night walking to the hotel from the subway. Would like a refrigerator, and a microwave would be a huge plus.

Nothing that's got a bug problem, worse than what we'd find anywhere else in the area. Rats are fine, just no roaches lol.

Not too concerned with noise or size, we don't plan to be there a whole lot, just somewhere safe that we can go to at night to sleep.

Thanks

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island City hotels

Also check the Verve and Nesva. They are very close to the subway and often recommended here.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Island City hotels

Post your exact dates, prices fluctuate daily.

Here's a partial list of well located hotels in LIC:

Near Queensboro Plaza subway station:

Comfort Inn

Country Inns and Suites

Near 39 AV station:

Quality Inn

The Verve

The Vetiver

Hilton Home2Suites

The Nesva

Holiday Inn City View

Fairfield

I have personally stayed at the Comfort and Quality Inn's and have walked by the others many times. The area is fine and an easy commute into Manhattan and also easy to reach from JFK or LGA. It's one more transfer from EWR via public transportation but not insurmountable. Get started by looking over those, pretty sure you'll find one that suits you, I would stay at any of them.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Island City hotels

Also check the Verve and Nesva. They are very close to the subway and often recommended here.

And no one on here would recommend a bug and rat infested dump. Thats one of the reasons apartment rentals are discouraged by the posters on here.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Island City hotels

Be careful, there are two Fairfields in LIC. The Queensboro Bridge one is fine. The Manhattan View is not in a good location.

If you provide your dates, people may be able to chime in with their opinions about the best choices within your budget.

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Island City hotels

And be careful that you get the right hotel, and not a different one of the same brand. Some brands have more the one hotel in Queens (for example, the Comfort Inn by LaGuardia Airport is not convenient to the subway), or even more than one in Long Island City (the Fairfield near the 39th Avenue station is fine, but the Fairfield on Van Dam Street isn't in a good location at all.)

What you migh try doing is bringing up Long Island City on Google Maps, which shows subway stations with a little blue "M". Then put "hotels" in the search box -- all the dots will pop up, and clicking on the ones close to the subway stops will tell you which ones they are.

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Island City hotels

We have reservations at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View in LIC for Thanksgiving week. I've been watching the reviews on TR and others like a hawk, and all seems pretty good. It's a short two block walk to the Metro station. They have youtube videos so you can actually see how you'll leave the hotel and go to the Metro. I did the same thing as you, waffling back and forth over all the hotels -- I think at some point I knew the rates and features of almost all the hotels with two queen beds in NYC! Good luck.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Island City hotels

Sarah, I saw in your other post that you're visiting in August. When in August?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Island City hotels

August 6-August 10th are the dates.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Island City hotels

A fellow poster, DLKentucky, told me about this Travelocity code: save12. It'll save 12% off many hotels. I used random early August dates, Aug. 5-8, and stuck with the upper west side since you'd mentioned it. You can get a one bedroom standard suite at the Milburn for $1,025, and that includes breakfast and WiFi plus a kitchenette.. (My daughters and I stayed there last August and really liked it.) You can get a Jr. Suite with a double bed and sofa bed at the Park 79 for $933. That'll include a fridge and microwave, too. (I've stayed at the Park 79. It's fine, but the Milburn is brighter and a bit closer to the subway.)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Island City hotels

I've never used Travelocity and I can't seem to find where to put the code. Those both look like nice places, particularly the Milburn.