We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

Saint Louis...
11 posts
Save Topic
Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

I am looking to fly from Washington DC airport to JFK terminal 8. I have to catch my Emirates flight in terminal 4 at 2220 on a wednesday. I am looking at tickets and trying to decide if I arrive via American at 1940 will I have enough time to get to Emirates and go through all the security. I will not have a checked bag on either flights, only a carry on. I don't know how often this flight arrives on schedule and welcome any advice!

(Originally on New york forum, but thought it should be more specific to NYC)

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

what is the question exactly? is 2hrs & 40mins enough time for a layover at JFK? yes.

that being said, it's always a little bit risky to book separately on 2 different airlines/itineraries. if there is any mechanical or weather delay or cancelation to your first flight, however unlikely, the airlines won't re-accommodate you.

if the 2 flights are booked on the same itinerary, then they will.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Louis...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

They are separate itineraries, I was wondering also if anyone knew if flights from JFK to WAS are typically on time. But I was thinking of getting an am flight b/c if there was trouble for the afternoon flight d/t unexpected problems like you said.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

Is your flight from JFK already booked? If not you should just book directly from Washington. Emirates goes nonstop from washington to dubai. Your timing is OK but delays certainly do happen, add in time to get between terminals and you could end up cutting it close, and will have no recourse.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,800 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

What is 'typically' an on time performance in the past, is no indicator that it will be the case on that date.

On two tickets, Id personally allow more time than that, otherwise if you don't make the connection, you've sacrificed your entire onward ticket. If you've got an option of an earlier flight, I would take it.

5. Re: Catch an international flight in JFK AA to Emirates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16