We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

half day in NYC

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
half day in NYC

My parents will be in NY 6/27 while on their way back to Hawaii. They will be arriving at JFK at 12:00 pm and are staying in the Hampton Inn next to the airport. They fly out the next morning at 10:00 am. They have never been to NY before and I'm trying to help them with their half day itinerary. They have tickets to see Pippin at the Music box theater, which starts at 8:00 pm. Looking for suggestions on what they could see and do before their show. I was thinking of the Staten Island ferry but saw that it would take them over 2 hours just to get their from JFK on public transit. They wouldn't mind going to the Top of the Rock, 911 Memorial, and or seeing the Statue of liberty. Any suggestions?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: half day in NYC

The Statue of Liberty is a huge time suck, because you have to take a ferry there, and line up for the ferry, and then you're trapped on the island. It's WORSE than the Staten Island Ferry. With that little time, you want to do something that is actually on the physical island of Manhattan.

Why not take the AirTrain/E Train to 53rd and 5th, go to Top of the Rock, then walk up Fifth Avenue past the foncy foncy stores to Central Park and go say hello to the Plaza and Tiffany's? Then walk along the bottom of the park and down to Times Square for the theater. Where are they going to eat dinner - one of the pre-theater places nearby?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: half day in NYC

Thanks for your reply. We were thinking something quick like a really good hot dog or pizza stand or Deli. Not much of those here in Hawaii. Open to ideas or suggestions. Also, if not going to the Statue of Liberty, is there a place they could view it from a distance?

Edited: 21 June 2014, 03:00
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: half day in NYC

Perhaps in the afternoon they could go downtown to see the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 memorial and then see the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park. Downtown self-guided walking tour map here: http://www.downtownny.com/walkingtours

Depending on time, they can then make their way up to the theater district, finding some food along the way.

If they are night owls, after the theater the top of the Empire State Building is open until 2 am. http://www.esbnyc.com/ and nearby Koreatown has a number or 24/7 restaurants. https:/…_Manhattan (I don't know If they can make it up to TOTR after the theater, as their last elevator is at 11 pm. http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ )

Edited: 21 June 2014, 03:47
Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: half day in NYC

You want something in Manhattan so you can be absolutely sure they make the show in time.

Go to Central Park or the top of ESB or TOTR so they can enjoy a view (either before or after the show).

What sort of things do they like?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: half day in NYC

Frankly, they would be far better off staying in Manhattan. They'll waste a lot of time getting to the JFK hotel to check in and drop luggage and then have to backtrack back to the airport to get the AIrTrain to connect to the subway to Manhattan. If they were leaving at 6 am, I could understand staying at the airport, but with a desire to sightsee and their hours of arrival and departure, staying in Manhattan would be better. If their reservation is cancelable, I see lots of good options (looking on kayak.com) for hotels in Manhattan for ~$200/night plus tax and they can probably find something good for less if necessary. They can stay near Penn Station (34 st. West) to be convenient to train service to/from the airport or near the theaterrs in the west 40's-50's.

Nywatertaxi.com

And

CircleLine.com

both have express cruises to see the Statue of Liberty.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: half day in NYC

Thanks for your ideas, sounds like a great idea. I will pass this along to them. I hope my mom is up for all that walking. :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: half day in NYC

Since we are so short on time, I was just hoping to get some famous landmarks into their itinerary prior to their 8:00 show. I just didn't know what was close by and doable in the time frame. The reason for the Jfk hotel was because originally they were suppose to land around 7:00pm. But flight plans changed and they now ave time to go into Manhattan. Unfortunately, the hotel was prepaid with no changes allowed.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: half day in NYC

Have you checked with Hampton Inns about whether they'd allow you to transfer the cost of the JFK hotel to another Hampton Inn, either in Manhattan or Long Island City? Doesn't hurt to ask.

9. Re: half day in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16