We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

Hi Keens or Blue Smoke for food and ambience?

Birdline or Dizzy's for music and ambience? Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

Keens is an historic steakhouse. Blue Smoke is a BBQ joint with a jazz club downstairs (Jazz Standard). There is nothing remotely similar about them imo, apart from both being in NYC and serving meat. Keens' food imo is much better and the ambiance is more upscale as befits a nice restaurant. Blue Smoke is casual and loud, although Jazz Standard downstairs has the same food and is an excellent jazz club.

Birdland food is barely passable imo while Dizzy's food is good. The setting at Dizzy's is much nicer, probably the nicest jazz club setting in NYC.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

I can only comment on Dizzy's because it's the only one I've been to, but we loved it! Easy to get to by subway, fantastic food with a great menu and cocktail list and a great view that overlooks Central Park. It's a great night out for sure.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

I agree that Birdland's food is merely acceptable. But their minimums are generally coverable with a single drink or appetizer so you can eat elsewhere, earlier, if you like.

But you don't pick one music club over the other because of the food, you pick the act then go where they are playing. If you have one night and both acts are equally compelling to you then I'd pick Dizzy's. Both have stellar acts going through.

Now, though I'm a jazz fan I actually haven't been to Dizzy's, so I don't know how their seating works but I have been to Birdland a number of times and it has open seating so if you go there you should go early to get a better seat

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

As Whiz stated, Jazz Standard is downstairs jazz club at Blue Smoke. I didn't have them but the ribs looked fantastic. Great jazz club as well.

Keens can be loud. Tables full of men doing the meat & scotch thing. Great steaks. Historic - Google "keens pipes".

Dizzy's is a great room (acousticly and ambiance-ly) with a fantastic view of columbus circle/central park.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 04:02
Glasgow
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

I think I might opt for Keens and Dizzys on two different evenings. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,916 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

Maybe choose the jazz club based on who is playing there -

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

>> I think I might opt for Keens and Dizzys on two different evenings.

I like your style ! ;)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

I dont intend eating at Dizzys, we'll be going for the music and cocktails. I've looked on-line and am a bit confused regarding the cover charges. I'm thinking going for the 9.30 set which should allow (if I'm reading it correctly) us to stay on for the late set if we wish. All that said what should I expect the cover vharge to be, and is there a "better" night to go? I dont know enough about jazz to go soley on the acts. Thanks

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

Im following this too as I wondered the same but when I Google it brings up 2 Dizzys. One at Lincoln Centre's Fredrick P Rose Hall, Boradwat at 60th street the other at 511 9th street. Which is the right one for jazz please?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keens Steakhouse or Blue Smoke/Birdline or Dizzy's?

@emmpaic - the one at the Lincoln centre

@martharuby - We went on a Sunday simply because that was the night that best suited us. When the program came out I went onto YouTube and listened to a couple of songs from a few different artists but not knowing any of them it made no difference so we just went with the Sunday night. Sounds like you are in a similar boat so I would just go on whichever night fits your itinerary best.