We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Metro card for seniors?

francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Metro card for seniors?

It looks like there is a discount for seniors but I'm not sure how to go about purchasing this. Does anyone have an idea?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,665 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

Have you looked for info on the mta website?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

You can get a senior Metrocard, but this either requires a fair amount of advance planning or spending time at the one place you can get it in person.

When is your trip? If you want to get one in advance you can, but you'll need to submit the application with photographs and have the application notarized.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfapply.htm

There are other alternatives. On the buses you can just pay half fare (coins only) with identifcation that you're over 65. In practice, bus drivers may not bother asking for this if they think you meet the requirement.

For the subway you can also get discounts without the senior card, but it's more complicated. You'd have to go to a booth at a staffed station, and show your ID. You can then buy a special two trip Metrocard for your initial journey and for another, presumably return, trip.

If you don't want to bother with the advance procedures for getting the senior Metrocard, you may find that just buying the regular weekly unlimited card is the better deal. If you've got lots of advance time you can get the senior card and then get a reduced rate on an unlimited weekly card with the fare added to the card you've received.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

The Senior / Disabled discount requires an application process that makes it impractical for most visitors.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfindex.htm

Edited: 21 June 2014, 16:23
francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

Sounds like too much of a hassle. Thanks for the info. The weekly unlimited card sounds like the best option

francofm
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

Thanks. We will forget about it and get the unlimited weekly metrocard.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

A senior Metrocard can be had at the MTA office while you wait at 3 Stone Street, just east of the Bowling Green Old Customs House in Lower Manhattan. The mail in option may not be useful for a visitor. Note the hours and what ID is required here:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfapply.htm

There is a choice of payment options for the senior card. I use mine frequently and have it charged to a credit card. A visitor might prefer the cash option.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

You do need to take a chunk out of your vacation to get the card in person. I don't think most people would think it worth the time.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,362 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

Since a regular weekly unlimited is $30 (+ $1 card fee), IMO you would most likely be spending more than $15 worth of vacation time trying to get the discount card. For a frequent visitor perhaps, for an occasional visitor I'd rather spend a couple of hours sightseeing elsewhere.

Our federal minimum wage is $7.25 and hour... I value my time more highly.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 17:34
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

Good choice in not pursuing the discount, senior, MetroCard - the effort would far outweigh the value, IMO.

The unlimited will do you fine.

Poppa

South Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Metro card for seniors?

All you have to do is go to a staffed station (easy to find--if the one you find yourself in isn't staffed, one will be close by), show your social security card, and you will receive two tickets for the price of one. It's easy--not complicated at all. We've done this for our last two trips to New York and have come out ahead of buying the card. Of course, we also did a lot of walking.