We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay?

Hi all

I recently posted this question on another forum and it was suggested I post here.

I arrive in NY on Dec 12th at 6am and leave the following day to London at 8pm, my question is what is the best place to stay?

I want to maybe see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, ground zero, Central Park and if I have time, I will think of other things to do. So far I have been looking in Manhattan, is this the best area for convenience in your opinion.

I don't mind using the subway to get from A to B but I really would like to see as much as I can during my short time here as it has been about 15yrs since my last visit to NY.

I would also like to be amongst a mixed environment, meaning locals and tourists.

Any suggestions please as I would like to book this weekend....Manhattan is not cheap!

Thank you

Kelly

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay?

Whats your budget in dollars per night?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay?

its very budget dependent which is why Rassi has quite rightly asked for your budget as you are coming at an expensive time

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay?

Also, It´s not referred to as ´Ground Zero´ anymore, rather: 911 Memorial (and museum)

Anywhere in Manhattan or closeby in Long Island City would do, as long as it's close to the subway (and if you're planning to use public transport from JFK (?), anywhere near the E subway would be perfect)

Edited: 21 June 2014, 19:11
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay?

I can personally recommend this hotel, have stayed several times:

countryinns.com/long-island-city-hotel-ny-11…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay?

Hi

I would say 450usd at the absolute most which is to include all the taxes. I would like to pay less but if I have to stretch then $450 is my limit.

Mayem, I will have a look at your link.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay?

Also, just to add I have seen a hotel called Ameritania which is Manhattan, very close to Times Square, Central Park and some theatres for $340 does this location sound like it could be ideal to commute from?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay?

Ok, I think I am going to book the Distrikt hotel also in Manhattan, it seems to have great reviews and rated 14/440 hotels in New York. It is right next to the Port Authority bus station which i get the impression is not a great thing but also near Times Square, Broadway, Hudson River, Central Park, Empire State Building and Rockafeller, which all sounds great. Apparently this is midtown, can someone tell me what landmarks are downtown and uptown?

Does this sound like a good location to stay in?

Thanks

Kelly

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay?

It's good and central. The direct streets are not overly charming, but you will find it very convenient. If it's within you budget, go for it.

Having PA on your doorstep is great! Lots of subways ...

Edited: 22 June 2014, 10:55
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay?

Midtown is where the Distrikt is, the 'middle'of Manhattan, Downtown is more towards 911 Memorial/ Wall Street and Uptown will be siding Central Park and 'higher' (Harlem, Bronx)

the terms are used a lot on the subways, so you know which direction the train is going, donwtown being more or less 'southbound', and uptown will 'northbound'.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 11:00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay?

IGnore the TA Rankings - i do ;-)

Whiz may be able to recommend something better for $450/night