We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Topic
Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

Hi

I would like to climb Bear Mountain tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that the only bus there is the one that leaves Port Auth at. 9.15 am ? But them there are several back in the afternoon? I don't have a car. Is the hike not super tough?! It's worth it for the views right?!

Thank you!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

We used to go to Bear Mountain often, but we never hiked up it. We'd drive there and walk around the paved trails. Pretty easy because back then we had our senior in-laws with us and we all enjoyed the outing.

I mean, the views are nice of green hills, but I'm not sure I'd go all that way on a bus with an iffy schedule. I did not see anything on their website about public transportation there, just driving directions and bus permits for groups (often there would be huge groups of kids, day-campers picnicking there).

But this is once you are there. I have no idea what the hike is like to get from bottom to top (and back).

USA
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

I would stay in NYC, how about the North Woods in Central Park?

centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attr…

You can do that early and then do some more exploration of the park. The conservatory garden is very nice as well.

If you really wanted to get out of the city, you could take the subway up to the GWB terminal and walk across the bridge. Then explore the Palisades, there are plenty of trails there. Great views too.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

That looks beautiful, springerandy, but in the text one place says it is northwest and another says east...and the map shows the middle!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

Great idea springerandy....

Here's a link to the information on walking across the GWB

Pedestrian & Bicycle Information - George Washington Bridge - The ...

panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-pedestian-bic…

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

I believe O P has been traveling around different locations for nature views. O P, I would also post this in the general NY forum too.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

All I know is, you get great views of the Manhattan skyline from Bear Mountain on a clear day :D

Sorry, can't help otherwise! It's a very nice spot though, but then I live about 10 miles away from there. And I'm not sure I'd do the treck from the city on public transport for it.

USA
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

Northwest.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 23:28
conn
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

well I mostly drive up but I have hiked up the AT to the top of Bear Mt in the past its a mod difficult hike for the AT nothing like northern New England. for a easy hike with some great views you could hike through the zoo and across the Bear Mt bridge

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

The famous Appalachian Trail crosses the Hudson on the Bear Mountain Bridge. Perhaps this website could help you as far as the park:

www.nynjtc.org/park/bear-mountain-state-park

New York City
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear Mountain public transport tomorrow - easyish hike?

I go to Bear Mountain maybe once or twice a year. While I dont think an occansional visitor would enjoy it. A regular visitor to NYC would like it.

Besides the Bus you can take Metro North to Either Peekskill or Harriman and take a Cab to Penn Station