We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Lexington, Kentucky
10 posts
Save Topic
5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Me and my boyfriend are taking our first trip to NYC together in July (both in mid-20's) I have planned an itinerary for each day, based on roughly the location of each place in sections of NYC. Any advice on if this itinerary is do-able would be helpful! We have purchased CityPASS booklet so we have tickets to Empire State Building, Museum of Natural History, Met, MoMA, Top of Rock/Guggenheim Museum, and Statue of Liberty. We arrive at LaGuardia Airport Tuesday at 8 a.m., leave early Sunday morning.

Tuesday:

NY Public Library

Grand Central Station

Chrysler Building

Empire State Building

Madison Square Garden

Wednesday:

Central Park

Museum of Natural History

Thursday:

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

Ground Zero 9/11 Memorial

Chinatown

Friday:

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Radio City Music Hall/Lincoln Center Combo Tour

Museum of Modern Art

Carnegie Hall

Broadway Play (Wicked)

Saturday:

Yankee Stadium

The Met

Anything we didn't get a chance to hit up

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Looks good - I am just adding a few tips

Tues.

***Empire State Building has big lines in the middle of the day*** It is best to get there first thing in the am (just before they open at 8am) with prepaid tickets in hand (this way you don't have to spend extra for express tickets) or else you can go late at night-it is open until 2am.

Check out Bryant Park when you see the library- Chrysler building will be between the Library & Grand Central -You could add the U.N. tour after Grand Central.

Wed.

Central Park Boathouse is a good spot for lunch or an early dinner & (before or after food) you can take out a row boat rental it is fun and inexpensive.

Thurs. After the Memorial you can check out Federal Hall (where George Washington was inaugerated) the NYSE & Trinity all at Broadway and Wall St. then walk down Fulton St. to the South Street Seaport for great views of the Brooklyn Bridge (before you go to Chinatown)

Friday- if you start early -they tape the Today show live every morning in Rock Center.

I would add more night life- here is a list of calendars-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

Happy Planning & (most importantly) Have Fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Very good itinerary. In fact, you may find you have some extra time on some of those days so have a few ideas you can pull from if you have some extra time. The big thing I think your itinerary is missing is to explore some of the downtown neighborhoods like Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Soho, or the Lower East Side. These areas give you the best idea of the history and daily life of the people of NYC. Plus they have the best food, shopping, and historic streets in the city.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Just a reminder that Ellis Island will not reopen until late October.

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Confused by the last comment - I thought that Ellis Island was open although some of the areas on it are still shut?

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Most, if not all, of the exhibits, are closed at Ellis Island until Oct. 28th.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Ellis Island has been open for awhile now. There are some sections that are still closed, but it's still worth visiting.

I believe your City Pass gives you just untimed access to the whole SOL ferry process. Consider purchasing timed access instead, and get purchase with pedestal access. StatueCruises.com is the official site.

On Friday, add Top of the Rock.

Your itinerary isn't too overstuffed, so I would also plan on exploring interesting neighborhoods on foot. Greenwich Village is a "must". You may also want to walk the Highline.

Are you planning on doing tours of Madison Square Garden and Carnegie Hall? If not, you could probably combine these two days of midtown sightseeing. Note that St. Patrick's Cathedral is undergoing a long restoration and scaffolding may be obstructing your views.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

From the National Park website: http://www.nps.gov/elis/index.htm

Ellis Island is pleased to have reopened on a limited basis. However, due to the nature of the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy, a few parts of the historic Main Building and museum remain closed. Please note the following:

Open/Available:

Baggage Room (Historic Area on the 1st Floor)

Registry Room/Great Hall (Historic Area on the 2nd Floor)

Balcony and Dormitory Room (Historic Areas on the 3rd Floor)

Peopling of America (Exhibit on the 1st Floor)

Peak Immigration Years (Exhibit on the 2nd Floor)

Most of Through America's Gate (Exhibit on the 2nd Floor)

Ellis Island Chronicles (Exhibit on the 3rd Floor)

Silent Voices (Exhibit on the 3rd Floor)

Restoring a Landmark (Exhibit on the 3rd Floor)

Theaters 1 and 2 (hourly presentations of the Island of Hope, Island of Tears documentary; 1st and 2nd Floors)

The American Family Immigration History Center (search ship manifests via ellisisland.org; 1st Floor)

Audio Tour (limited audio tour; pick up and drop off on the 1st Floor)

Gift Shop (1st Floor)

The American Immigrant Wall of Honor on the outside grounds

Limitations:

One elevator

Limited food service available on outdoor patio

Although some exhibit areas are open, the artifacts normally on display remain in storage and are not viewable

No access to the Treasures from Home Exhibit on the 3rd Floor

No access to one room of Through America's Gate on the 2nd Floor; most of the exhibit is open.

Education programs Shore to Shore and GameZone, as well as Ellis Island 101 and 'Island of Hope, Island of Tears' Documentary Film reserved programs for school groups are not available due to space and staffing limitations.

Lexington, Kentucky
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Thank you so much, this is so helpful! Do you know anything about the lines and wait at 9/11 Memorial? Is there a "best time" to go during the day and should we pre-order tickets online?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

There is not much of a wait in the morning at the 9/11 Museum. Not sure about later in the day though. Tickets could sell out so it's better to pre-order so you know you've got them.

The 9/11 Memorial itself is fully open to the public now and is free. There is a difference between the Memorial and Museum.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Day NYC Trip Itinerary- 1st Visit!

Just in case, if you haven't purchased your tickets to Wicked yet, purchase ASAP.