We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Glasgow
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Hi all

My partner and I will be spending 5 days in NY in October, 10-15th along with our 15 year old son. We've both visited before but this will be the first time for our son so we'll be doing a fair amount of the tourist attractions.

Ideally we want accommodation that gives us two separate bedrooms. Previously we stayed in a apartment / suite hotel near UN building around mid town. Something similar style would be great but we want to stay somewhere with a bit more of a bit more local life and hopefully things that might be of interest to a teenage.

I was thinking Brooklyn or Harlem could be options as we've not spend much time outside of Manhattan but then there are probably good options in Manhattan that I'm not familiar with.

Anyone able to offer advice on hotels / areas that might fit our bill? Trying to look at a budget of around £200 per night but will up the budget if needs be.

Thanks

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

What is your maximum budget (before taxes)... 2 separate bedrooms - does that mean you want 2 rooms in total (.e. bedroom and living room with another sofa bed for example)? One bedroom suites in that price range are not going to be cheap and most likely above 200 pounds.

The Beacon hotel has one bedroom suites and is pretty much always recommended here - it's $ 405 per night USD though for your dates

http://beaconhotel.com/

Upper West Side has a great neighborhood feel... I do not think staying in Harlem or Brooklyn for that matter is a great idea

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

avoid any apartment rentals

they are illegal for less than 30 days

there are apartment style hotels if you need extra space etc

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens one subway stop from Manhattan) has one bedroom suites with sofabed, fridge and microwave in your price range.

countryinns.com/long-island-city-hotel-ny-11…

Glasgow
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Thanks for the info - Beacon looks like a possibility.

Budget wise - sounds like I might need to increase to £250 (with tax). I was hoping for two separate sleeping areas in one room / apartment (hotel type apartment and not an illegal rental). I thought there might be offerings out of Manhattan that might be more budget friendly hence the Harlem / Brooklyn suggestions but if those districts are not recommended for accommodation then I'll stick with Manhattan.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Harlem is IN Manhattan

Not that many hotels there compared with Manhattan and not all brooklyn hotels are convenient

Glasgow
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Sorry - my bad on Harlem. Obviously need to brush up on my neighbourhoods vs boroughs!

Long island option is certainly budget friendly so I'll look further into that one as well.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

We have stayed in one bedroom suites with our teen son at the Affinia Dumont, Affinia Shelburne, and Hotel Beacon. He was quite comfortable on the sleep sofas and it worked out well having two tvs to watch while unwinding at night.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,439 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

just to clarify some confusing local vocabulary, Long Island City is a (newly fashionable, rapidly gentrifying) neighborhood in Queens (within the 5 boroughs of NYC) and Long Island refers to the suburbs east of the city.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

<<Long island option is certainly budget friendly so I'll look further into that one as well.>>

Please note: It's Long Island CITY. Not Long Island when you are looking for hotels. Two different places.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation ideas - New York with a teenager

Great - thanks folks. I'll look at Long Island CITY for teenager friendly things and also the Beacon area.

Good to know the sleep sofas are good enough for more than a one night stay.