We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Hi there! Heading to NYC this summer with my best friend since childhood - my first NY trip, her second - I'm overwhelmed but excited abt our 3 nights/4 days coming up! I like having a (flexible) itinerary, she's more open; we both love theatre, want to see "the big sights" & love good food.

Q's - 1)what is your rec transportation from JFK to our Times Sq area hotel? Flight lands on a Fri 9.30 am.(We're aiming for carry- ons for luggage & would like to get right to sightseeing asap).

2) Is TOTR better experienced first thing in am or late at night? I'm torn. We're also debating one of the sunset cruises for one evening.

3) I know The Met could be an entire trip in itself, but can a half- day do it justice? How much further out are The Cloisters?

4) Are the Hop on/off tours generally of good value?

5) We're expecting heat & humidity, but any tips on what to do / what to avoid specifically in summer?

Thx so much!

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

TOTR is better at night imo, the lights make everything more beautiful.

For the Met just look at the plan of museum and pick things you want to see the most or first rather than running around like crazy. The Cloisters is a separate trip altogether as it's far far up in Manhattan... Not close/adjacent to the Met. You would have to go there on another day (your Met ticket will be valid)

Edited: 23 June 2014, 01:55
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

If you do TOTR at night you won't get to see Central Park, it will large be a large area without any lights. Most people say do it during the day or at sunset.

If you just have carry on luggage the AirTrain and then the subway will be the least expensive, and probably the fastest way to get to your hotel. If you give a precise location you'll get advice on which subway trains to take.

The Cloisters is in far northern Manhattan, not really near the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but easily reachable by subway.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Hmm. We may leave out The Cloisters this time around. We're hoping to squeeze in 2 shows during our visit...thinking a matinee might be good for one, to avoid the midday heat? (mid-July)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

As for your shows, be sure to check availability. There are several shows which sell out months in advance.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Yes, cyblume, we were hoping to catch Hedwig but then The Tonys happened... ;) The others on our list still have availability & quite frankly we're just happy to see anything on Broadway!!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Actually, I checked for availability for Hedwig in early March & the only thing I found was $400+ seats. That's why you have to check for availability. Some shows sell out really quick or only have Premium Seating available.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
841 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Since you're happy to see anything on Broadway like my wife and I are, might I suggest going to TKTS when you're in the city. We usually take a subway to the Brooklyn outlet which offers matinee tickets for the next day performance. This way we get 2 shows with one trip. We see a show the evening we go for tickets and get matinee tickets for the next day at the same time and usually for 50% off ticket prices. We go with three or four ideas of shows we would like to see in order of priority and then see what seats are available and make our decision then.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Or you could go to NYC & Co near the beginning of your stay & pick up their Broadway discounts flyer & take it to the theater(s) of the show(s) you want to see, assuming their on the flyer. You can also pick up a ton of tourist info while there & the discounts on the flyer are good for anyday assuming availability & restrictions so you can get any & all show tickets with just a little walking & very little standing on line.

NYC & Co 7th Ave, near 53rd, next to the Chase Bank.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

Great tips, thx! We knew abt TKTS, but not NYC & Co. That'll help. Sigh, unlimited funds would make decisions more simple!

We definitely want to catch Kinky Boots while we're there; I've seen Book of Mormon (Toronto) & she's seen Wicked (both excellent) - we're scanning the review sites & ranking our preferences before we go. Any thoughts on Pippin?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best friends celebrating almost 40's!

I saw Pippin a season before last. At first, I was afraid I wouldn't like it but a favorite actor was in the show at the time so I went. This is a fantastic rethinking of the show by the original creative team. It is set to a circus theme but is not just for kids. I loved it!