We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

Nottingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

Hi

I will be travelling with 2 children into JFK.

I need to get to the train station. Is 4 hours plenty time to do this?

I have been reading and saw something about air train and change at Jamaica for an other train. is this still the best way and most cost efficient one?

One more issue on board Amtrak, size luggage. I will have what we call a Large suitcase, much taller than the size on the Amtrak website. Would that be an issue?

Many thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

**One more issue on board Amtrak, size luggage. I will have what we call a Large suitcase, much taller than the size on the Amtrak website. Would that be an issue?**

No.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

As a practical matter, if you can carry on your suitcase on Amtrak, you're OK. There are large overhead bins, much larger than on airlines, and also substantial additional storage space at the end of each car.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

The issue with Amtrak is that you have to move your own bags into and out of the train. If you can do that, you're good.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

...and 4 hours should be enough time, even if you're clearing customs and immigration. You'll probably have time to grab a meal in or near Penn Station.

If you get lucky and breeze through immigration, Amtrak has baggage storage for ticketed passengers, so you can drop off your bags and wander around for a bit of exploration. You'll be very near the Empire State Building and Macy's/Herald Square and about a 15 min walk from Times Square. (You probably won't have time to actually go to the top of the ESB though as long lines are common)

6. Re: JFK connection, Amtrak and luggage size

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24