We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Hi

I've realised that I posted originally on the New York forum not New York City, sorry.

We're a family of 4 (children 14 and 11) visiting NYC for two nights at the beginning of August. I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at my itinerary and see if I'm being realistic. We want to see the iconic sights of New York that we've seen in our favourite films and TV programmes.

We arrive at EWR at 12.15 on Friday 1st and our travel agent has already organised transport to our hotel, The Giraffe (in NOMAD?). We are booked onto a New York TV and Movie Sights Tour on Saturday 11am -3pm, and also have tickets for the Empire State Building. We fly from EWR at 14.45 on Sunday so I assume we'll need to be getting a taxi at about 12.00 -12.15.

On the Friday I was thinking about doing the return trip on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty at about 3-4pm then going on to the 9/11 Museum for about 5pm. I need to book tickets once I've finalised my itinerary.

A lot of Saturday is taken up with the tour, which finishes at 3pm, I think at the bar from How I Met Your Mother, so I thought about either shopping afterwards (Bloomingdales / Macy's / is it FAO Schwartz in Home Alone 2?) or alternatively we could go into Central Park for a couple of hours. I thought of trying to eat at Ellen's Starburst Diner then walking back through Times Square. Would later on Saturday night be a good time to go up the Empire State? Or too busy?

We only have about 3 hours on Sunday Morning so we could go to Central Park then instead then have brunch. Or would that be a better time to go up the Empire State? Because our time is short I really want to minimise queuing time.

Also, at any time are we near enough to the Empire Diner or Katz deli to allow us to get a snack there (if either place does snacks)? I can't get a handle on some traveling times. We'll try to use the subway where possible but I don't know how long it takes to change lines.

new york
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

The only time that I can see Katz's fitting in is for dinner on Friday night. The portions are huge - definitely not snack size. Ellen's Stardust diner is very busy and has long lines at times - it might be a shorter wait if you are there around 7:30 pm when a lot of people will be heading to the theater. It's also a good breakfast spot since a lot of people don't care for the food (we've always found it ok diner food but a fun atmosphere)

Empire State would be best either late at night or first thing in the morning. Times Square is best after dark to take in the lights. I think either of your options for Saturday afternoon would be ok - Central Park is close to FAO Schwartz which is fairly close to Bloomingdales. It would depend on how much you plan to see in the park whether you have time to hit up one of the stores. Macys isn't in the immediate area but is close to ESB if you could combine those two.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 00:42
Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

You will love the Giraffe! Nice breakfast, wine and veggie plates late afternoon, and cookies, tea,and coffee 24 hours.

Since you have kids with you, you may want to request having the frosted window of the bathroom door covered. Its translucent!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 02:15
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

You will probably arrive at your hotel later than you think.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like we could eat at Ellen's at 7.30 then walk through Times Square towards the Empire State and go up then. Thank you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Dear ztacs

I think you're right about arriving later than I had thought on Friday. We will have luggage in the hold and will have to clear passport control. I won't actually book anything for then but we could get the Staten Island ferry if we arrive in time. Many thanks for your advice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Can you tell me which New York and Movie Sights tour you are taking? Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Hi. I think it's the one run by On Location Tours. It was booked by our travel agent through the Do Something Different website.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

Empire Diner is 22nd St & 10th. Katz's is near 2nd Ave & 1st.

9. Re: NYC weekend - when to see Empire State Bdg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17