We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

We are heading to NYC at the end of August and have seen a very reasonable deal to watch a baseball game...$22 for ticket, hat, food, drink..perfect for a tourist who just wants to experience some American sport. Is this a good idea or should I go for a more expensive option or a more popular team?? Sorry, don't meant to offend, I know nothing about baseball!

We are staying near Time Square, is Richmond County Bank Ballpark easy enough to get to???

Thanks in Advance :)

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

-Yes...getting to the stadium is very easy.

-Note that the SI Yankees are the minor league team to the NY Yankees(major league baseball.) Both local MLB teams, NY Yankees and NY Mets will always be more popular than the minor league teams.

If you want the experience, go for it. No need to spend more for a major league game if not needed.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

The Staten Island Yankees and the Brooklyn Cyclones are minor-league teams, which is a very different experience from major league baseball. Like British football, we have various different levels in our baseball league system. The major league teams such as the Yankees and Mets correspond to Premier League football. The Staten Island Yankees are an "A" team, which is three levels down - so, according to this chart, Football League Two. That means you're likely to see much younger players, a community feeling, and not the level of perfection of play you see in the major leagues.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_…

That said, I actually like the minor league baseball experience more than the major leagues. You get closer to the players. The food is great. The view from the Staten Island ballpark is AMAZING. It's right by the ferry and easy to get to. And everyone's just relaxed and having a fun day out - there aren't millions of dollars at stake. I'd say go to it!

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

We enjoyed the experience. You ride the Staten Island ferry over and the stadium is literally a 3 min. walk from the ferry terminal. The view of Manhattan from the stadium is really nice. Seats between home plate and third base offer the best view of the city. There are a lot of fun silly things happening before the game and between innings.

Do not eat a burger at the stadium. It was by far the worst burger I have ever had in my life. Stick to the hot dogs and ice cream. The whole experience was relaxing and fun. You will be surrounded by locals which was fantastic.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,849 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

The Brooklyn Cyclones are another minor league team. Similar prices. Stadium in Coney Island right on the beach by the amusement parks. Easily accessible by subway. http://www.brooklyncyclones.com/home/

This previous thread has a discussion of Major v Minor league that may give you some insight. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7057285…

Edited: 24 June 2014, 14:02
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

I really prefer the SI Yankees. The Brooklyn Cyclones are too big for their britches. They're also an A team, but they act like they're all that because Brooklyn. Feh.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

Call me a snob, but I prefer the major league teams, It is minor league baseball and the play is not the same quality as the Mets or Yankees. You can get Mets and Yankees tickets fairly cheap.

That being say the SI Yankees and the Brooklyn cyclones do have better views at their stadiums than the Mets and Yankees

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

I am not a baseball person, but a friend took me to a SI Yankees game a few years ago, and I had a blast! From the ferry ride back and forth, to the food, view, and atmosphere (family friendly), it was a great night. Go for it. :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

If you know nothing about baseball you could find a major league game boring. I have never seen the SI Yankees, but I have been to single A and Triple A games with the Boston affiliated teams. Both fun (with less non baseball stuff at triple A) and a lot less expensive than the majors.

Even if you get cheap major league tix, in my experience food and drink are a lot cheaper in the minor league parks

Edited: 24 June 2014, 14:48
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

My experience with the Frederick (Maryland), Keys, a farm team of the Baltimore Orioles, has always been great. They are also an "A" team (the lowest of professionals, there are AA and AAA, also.)

BUT: the price of the whole day is much less than a single ticket for the NY Yankees (you can barely look in from outside for $22 :^), 80% of what an "A" team does they do is as good as the Major Leagues, and you are less than 100 feet away from the batter usually. And with getting there on the Ferry, it's even better. The stadium hold maybe 2000 people (compared to Yankee Stadium with 45,000 people), so you really see it played up close. And, as I said, 80% of the time, they are of Major League quality. Everyone once in awhile, someone drops an easy one, or a batter messes up, or the pitcher falls apart, but it's the same game.

I say: Go for it.

If I were in London, I wouldn't know the difference between watching a game at Lords or in a park at Reading, I'd still love it.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 18:19
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staen Island Yankees - Worth a watch?

One last thing: It's easier to get pretty good (or cheap and somewhat good) seats for the New York Mets, the other NYC Major League baseball team. The stadium is the same 1/2-hour subway ride away, but in a different direction, and you get the Major League Experience.

BUT: if price, convenience, being close up, taking the Ferry across the Bay (makes the Thames look like a stream), having fun with kids, is more important, the SI Yankees are the best.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 18:23