We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

Milton GA
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

Have a question as I am putting together my itinerary (which I will ask for help with soon!) about travel times and ease of travel around the city. We are in our 40's w/2 boys 10 & 12 and have 4 days in NYC.

How difficult or time consuming and realistic is it to go from one area to another during the day and/or back to our hotel? I will be more specific as I know that is very vague!

We are staying at the Marriott Marquis times sq. - if we were down in the Village area one day around 3:30-4 (after high line/chelsea mkt/village is it realistic to go back to the hotel for an hour or so to shower & change clothes then head back down to dinner in Little Italy (6ish) and Blue man group at Astor place at 8? Or should we plan on just staying down there? Or not trying to fit it all in on one day?

Or if we are in Central park/AMNH in the afternoon & want to go back to hotel then back to Tavern on the Green (maybe just for drinks - we were engaged there so it's sentimental) is that easy enough and how long?

I don't want to do a lot of back tracking, but on the other hand would like to maybe chill for a bit and shower/change as we will all need it I'm sure!

Also, is Blue Man worth it? It is really putting a wrench in my itinerary as I am having a hard time planning around it. We only want to go if we can get discount tix at TKTS, so can't really plan for it but am trying to do if/then scenarios. If we do BMG on this day/then...

We don't have to see it, but did want to take the boys to some sort of performance that they might like w/o spending a fortune.

Thank you!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

an excellent way to figure out travel times is hopstop.com -- it can tell you how long it will take to travel by subway, bus, taxi, or walking, and give you routes. that said -- my general rule is that very few parts of manhattan that most people will want to visit are more than 30 minutes away from midtown by subway. hopstop can refine that, though.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 02:00
chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

Just fyi...found out that hopstop just works with Apple devices not Android. Was looking forward to using it :-(

Milton GA
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

Thanks! I will check that out.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

If you leave the High line earlier (3:30) and ate closer to the Show -Like at Otto-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d50…

or Patsy's-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d47…

Then you would have time to eat.

You should probably try arrive to the theater atleast ten mins before showtime.

A typical alternative to BMG is Stomp & it is in the same area.

Virage is a decent restaurant right next to Stomp-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

The last tip is that lines can get ridiculous at the TKTS booth in Times Square. If you are going to do anything downtown (Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, NYSE, Federal Plaza, etc..) then head to the TKTS in the South Street Seaport -it opens earlier (11am) and you can buy Matinees the day before. It is the last location (at the bottom of the page) on their location list linked below-

www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx…

After you get your tickets - The Peirs at the Seaport has great views of the Brooklyn Bridge & also some decent Lunch options.

If you start early you could see all the sites mentioned above -get your tickets and have lunch before anyone in Times Square even gets a ticket.

For AMNH you could go back it will be about 30 mins each way travel time

Here is an easy must see list to help as you orginize your itinerary-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Happy Planning & (most importantly) Have fun!

5. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 12:54
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

About Blue Man, you can join the free discount clubs at Playbill & TheaterMania & th e-mail list at BroadwayBox & get your tickets from them in advance of your trip. That way you save time traveling to & waiting on line at TKTS.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

I'll just throw this out there...if you're worried about not having enough time to do something, you probably don't have enough time. Relax the itinerary some so you're not rushing around all day long. My favorite things about NY are the hidden gems you find just walking through the neighborhoods.

Since you're staying right on top of the Times Square/42nd St subway station, I'd go with the 30 minute rule already mentioned. A subway train from almost anywhere in Manhattan will take 30 minutes or less to get back to your station, not counting waiting time, and trains will be more crowded during rush hours.

I almost always plan on going back to my hotel for clean up and relaxation before heading out for evening activities, just plan on doing that each day, don't just try to squeeze it in at the last minute.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,440 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

It usually takes a bit longer to walk from point a to point b than you think. It doesn't matter if you normally walk 15 minute miles .... You will NEED to stop and wait for a walk light from time to time. sometimes, like in Times Square,you get slowed down by the sheer volume of people.

And of course there is always the chance that something will catch your attention and next thing you know 20 minutes has passed.

Just be prepared to be flexible.

Milton GA
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

Thanks everyone! Yes, I am thinking I need to re-arrange some of the plan so that we aren't rushing to everywhere. We do like to be open to just explore somewhere if it pops up.

I think we will just get tix before hand on one of the discount sites rather than waiting in line forever at TKTS.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel times/ ease of travel around the city?

I always found it was better to add 10 mins or so to whatever journey time I expected. Sometimes I got a bit lost finding a new place or the trains were delayed etc.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:58