We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

Thanks for those that helped with my previous post.

I have now finalised choice to two completely different hotels.

Anyone have a strong opinion on either of these please ?

The Kitano New York or Affinia Dumont.

our main criteria is nice modern clean room and hotel to be convenient for theatre MSG and shopping.

Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kitano New York
Kitano New York
1,226 Reviews
New York City, NY
Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

I have stayed at the Affinia Dumont but not the Kitano. It was a good stay but I would not describe it as modern. Grand Hyatt fits the bill more in my opinion. It is also better if weather is bad compared to the Dumont as you don't even have to go in to the street to catch the subway, there is an exit into Grand central from a corridor of the hotel. If you need more space, larger group or a kitchen then the Dumont would be good. We ate at the Barking dog next door for breakfast and dinner one night.

Have you looked at Affinia Manhattan? It has been renovated so a more modern feel thn the Dumont when we visited. It is directly across from MSG, just down the street from Macy's and a short walk to Times Square.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,388 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kitano New York
Kitano New York
1,226 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stewart Hotel
Stewart Hotel
5,765 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

Actually neither of these 2 hotels are what I'd call modern nor is their location as convenient for theater as some locations further west. The Afinia Dumont will have larger rooms and full kitchen with potential for great views on higher loors. The Kitano is more upscale with a jazz club off the lobby. I think you'll find both on

Oyster.com

Which will give you more photos. The Kitano is not far from Grand Central where you can get a Times Square shuttel (subway) to the theater district. If you provide dates, number of beds/people and budget, we might be able to offer some other options that might better suit your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,388 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kitano New York
Kitano New York
1,226 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

I've found your dates from another post. The Refinery is a much newer hotel in a location closer to theaters and MSG yet not in Times Square. Looking at prices on

Kayak.com

It's actually cheaper than either of the 2 you list and imo nicer than both. The Eventi is also very nice but a bit more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,388 Reviews
New York City, NY
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

I would take NYWhiz's advice. She knows her hotels. The Refinery and Eventi both look better options and refinery comes within the budget. Eventi is on my list for next time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

totally with previous post I would take NYWhiz reco definitely for what you have suggested you want!

Enjoy

6. Re: Help with final choice of 2 hotels please ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:17