We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large reservation for dinner

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Large reservation for dinner

Hello all,

I am going to NYC this weekend (first time!) for a stagette, 11 girls total. We've tried to make dinner reservations at a few different places, but it seems that most places either (a) don't take large parties, or (b) require you use a set menu (which ranges from $60-100 per person).

Can anyone please recommend a nice restaurant in Manhattan that takes large parties? We need reservations for both Sunday night and Monday night. I am open to any and all suggestions. I think up to $60-75 per person is reasonable, but we are opposed to most set menus as they really restrict you in what you're able to order. Also, if there are any nice rooftop restaurants or restaurants with a beautiful view, this would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Carmine's is a well regarded Italian restaurant that caters to groups. Their food is served family style on platters. The other place I know of that serves family style is Benares which is Indian.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Steakhouses generally are good option, thought the price will be higher.

I've had large groups at DBGB and the Smith. Both are pretty lively places and within your price range (depending on how much you drink). Neither would make you order from a fixed menu.

Looking on opentable I pulled up a ton of places for 11 people for a saturday night (though not sure which ones would make you order set menu)..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large reservation for dinner

This is Gay Pride weekend, so downtown might be tough, but I do a lot of big group wine dinners at Eolo and Pastai - same owner. Eolo gets a lot of walk-ins so they might be able to take a reservation. Pastai is on 9th Avenue so more far removed from the festivities - and they have a nice back area (not a private room, but it's the short part of a L shaped dining room) that can accommodate 12. Both of these are moderate Sicilian-leaning Italian food.

I also do a lot of group dinners at Congee Village on Allen Street (there's another one on Bowery but have never been there) and Nonya - Malaysian food. Not sure if you want Asian being from Vancouver, but these are places I go with very picky to the point of being annoying Chinese foodies.

Da Noi in midtown east is very good Italian and busiest during the week with a business clientele. They happily accommodate big groups on weekends.

Desmond's Steak House on 7th Ave at 38th will also do a big group, happily, with access to the full menu.

None of these places restrict what you order at all.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 25 June 2014, 17:52
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Tamara, even here in Vancouver the better restaurants usually require you to have a set menu for larger groups. And this weekend in NYC, is that 3 days from now? It's cutting close. Try to see if Otto will take you, or line up for places like Momufuku Noodle Bar. Try going to the Birreria at Eataly, it is a roof top and serves food. For further ideas take a look at Zagat's "best" guide.

http://www.zagat.com/l/new-york-city/top-list

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,443 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Some restaurants want you to do a set menu because it's difficult to handle 11 orders coming in all at once, to be served all at once. Only larger restaurants can do that with ease on a busy night with a full restaurant.

I agree that Opentable.com is a good idea. It's a long shot that any recs you would get here would have last minute availability this Saturday night for a party of 11. Opentable will show you who can do it, then you can research from there. Even for a party of 2, many restaurants are booked up weeks in advance.

You might not be able to do the special expensive dinner on this short a notice. Consider doing something more casual (e.g. Chinatown family style? Italian family style?) for dinner and do something else with the splurge money. Can you do a special lunch or brunch? That might be easier to book last minute.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large reservation for dinner

See if you can get a table at Kellari Tavern. I have had dinner with 12 people ( me including). I had to call them instead of open table.

Les Halle is doable as well.

Congee place is a very good choice too ...but it is hardcore chinese and many people don't like it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Just a warning to a fellow Vancouverite, if you are used to Chinese food here, and really good Chinese food that we have, please don't in New York, where they have their own special cuisines. You will just be in for a big disappointment.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large reservation for dinner

WEQueen are you suggesting that Vancouver Chinese > than NYC chinese :P ???

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Large reservation for dinner

Hooters

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,930 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large reservation for dinner

I drink, you must come to Vancouver to try the cuisine. We have one of the largest populations of Chinese outside of China. most of whom have vast disposable wealth and discriminating taste.for food, eat every m a restaurant, hence the existence of excellent choices. We are not derogatory referred to a Hongkouver for nothing. A term I don't like myself.