We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Hi everyone, i'm still in NYC but i want it to tell you all thanks for the tips and advices and help that all of you provided, i'm 21 from Mexico and came alone on a budget to meet my dreams.

Day 0:

I took my flight from México City to NY and arrived at 10:30pm in JFK terminal 1, everything was fine until the captain told us that the tunnel didn't work, we lost an hour waiting, but i was out of the plane finally!

I ran to take my baggage and then to immigration, everything was ultra fast, i spent like one minute and that's it, so i walked to Airtrain Station, from there to Jamaica station. I paid the ride and got the mwtrocard with unlimited rides for a week, this card is amazing. I spent since January learning maps and reading everytang about the city so i get used to the subway very fast.

So i step out of the last station (33 St) at 1:45am and the first thing that i saw was the Metlife Building it was amazing! I walked to my hotel, the New York Budget Inn, which is amazing and checked in, i slept at 3:30am, i was so tired but i'm here finally! So i took a little nap because i needed to get up at 6am.

Coming Soon:

Day 1- Liberty Island, Ellis Island, 9/11 Museum, City Hall & Downtown, Brooklyn Bridge, Promenade Heights and Times Square!

By the way, i saw posters about Marvel's Avengers STATION, is it good? 27 dollars seems too much for a ticket.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Welcome to NYC. You hotel in a very good location. Right next to it PIO PIO. Do go there for a lunch during weekdays.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to read all about your holiday. Hope you have a blast xx

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,717 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Welcome to NYC. Good job becoming familiar with the NYC Subway--you are riding it like a pro--shows it can be done easily by tourists--if they take the effort to prepare. ( as many do!)

Edited: 27 June 2014, 18:17
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

I'm looking forward to hearing how the rest of your stay went.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Javier, if you decide to go to the Avengers' exhibition, here's a link to a discount code that will save you five dollars.

playbill.com/club/…3737.html

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Day 1:

I woke up at 6:10am i was sl nervous because i had 8:00am tickets to the Crown, so i got dressed i took the train to Bowling Green, i was worried because it was cloudy and the mist was really dense, whatever, i walked to see the Charging Bull and there it was! So big and people-free! I ran to take pictures and my selfie with him, then i saw a street vendor with donuts and coffee and i bought a pair (that's is going to be my ritual every morning). I was at Castle Clinton at 7:30am and a girl told us to way until 7:45am, later they opened the door and i got my bracelet, the ferry line was fast and the mist disappeared! Watching Lady Liberty so close was amazing and shocking, the stairs were really really small and when i finished i felt like it wasn't worth it, just a few little windows and nothing else, i took my pics and returned to pedestal, later i took the boat to Ellis Island which is awesome it gave me a realistic view about the people in century XX.

I returned to Battery Park at 11:40am and walked to the 9/11 memorial, it's beautiful and the One Trade Center Tower is huge and amazing, i had my ticket for the museum at 1pm so i bought: 2 hot dogs and cold water for 4.5USD hahaha i sat in a park next to the memorial and eat them.

The museum is beautiful, the desing, the facilities, and the volunteers are very helpful, i started crying and felt weird inside, i remember me watching the news at home so it really hit me hard being there and thinking that a few years ago it happened, also the room with the pictures of the victims and then the room with the ashes, it was too much.

Then i walked to Wall Street, NYSE, Trinity Church which is very impressive.

I keep walking and taking pictures of everything, City Hall is beautiful with his tunnel, i was amazed at how big it was the building. Then i took the path to Brooklyn Bridge, at 4:30pm the sun was really burning me but who cares, i'm in NY living my dream. The Bridge is amazing and the views of Midtown and Downtown are awesome, when i get to Brooklyn i got lost hahaha my cellphone ran out of power and my camera too, i went to Starbucks and that saved me, while i was waiting there and charging my devices, i met a senior, we started talking about NY, Woody Allen, Mexico and Nikon vs. Cannon, he was very friendly, at 7pm i went to the Promenade Heights and wooooow the view was spectacular i sat and waited to see the lights, it was surreal, also the houses near Promenade are terrific, it must be a dream living there, i leave Brooklyn in the Train 2 to Times Square, it was 10pm, the lights and screams guided me to the screens, finally i made it to Times Square after years of watching movies and that stuff, i was there, i did my happy dance at the top kf the red stairs and ate at McDonald's, i bought a lot of Mickeys and Winnie Poohs for my family at Disney Store and then i returned to my Hotel.

My first day was amazing, all the people is very friendly, the people who work in stores is always smiling and happy to help you, wow. The subway is very very useful, praise the lord for the unlimited fare.

Soon: day 2- Chinatown, Soho, Washington square, Greenwich Village, Hudson River and Transformers 4.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Great TR! Keep it coming. It's great to hear personal details about your experiences.

A lot of people don't realize that the climb is really about the statue and not the views, and it is challenging! Yes, those steps are tiny and awkward.

I'll bet you'll be happy you did the crown climb when you look back at it over time and remember your trip, even though it felt a bit disappointing when you did it.

Also thanks for eloquently sharing the intensity of the 911 Memorial Museum.

Really, you're providing such a vivid description of your experiences. Wonderful! Keep writing from the heart :-)

Edited: 28 June 2014, 02:00
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Also, please let us know about your experience New York Budget Inn. It's not mentioned often on the forum, and I think many of us assumed it was just one of the many illegal hostels/hotels and too risky, but they actually have a certificate of occupancy as a legal hotel. It could be a good option for other budget travelers.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,758 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR in progress - I'm in the CITY finally! On a Budged Story

Great start to your NYC trip and very good review enjoy the rest of your trip.