We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC trip July 28-31

West Monroe...
3 posts
Save Topic
NYC trip July 28-31

My husband and I will be in New York at the end of July for the Liverpool game at Yankee Stadium. The game is on July 30 in the evening, but we want to use most of July 28th and 29th seeing other attractions. We also want to make sure that we are being smart about the hotel we choose...so my questions are:

1. NJ hotels are a bit cheaper, however we would have to spend more money on transportation to get into town. Would we save more money staying in town?

2. Are there any hotels in the range of $150 per night that we could get in town?

3. Which sights would be the best to see during out limited stay? We are in our early 30s and are fairly open to just about anything.

We are from Louisiana, so we are not accustomed to taking public transit -- but we are excited about learning! So feel free to give us tips about that, too.

Thanks so much!!!

Mentioned in this post
Yankee Stadium
Yankee Stadium
3,620 Reviews
Bronx, NY
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

Sorry I can't help with hotels except to say that $150 is very low for a good place in Manhattan.

As to the sights to see, there are so many. Central Park, Times Square, the expensive department stores along Fifth Avenue, museums such as The Met, AMNH, Guggenheim to name a few, Top of the Rock or Empire State Building for fantastic city views. Plus much more, small neighbourhoods like Greenwich Village, East and West Villages, then there are the other boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. So what is it you really want to see?

As for the subway, it's very easy once you know how. This guide is very informative and explains everything. Spend half an hour reading it and you will understand it so much better:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

Edited: 27 June 2014, 07:02
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,375 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,139 Reviews
New York City, NY
Fifth Avenue
Fifth Avenue
8,053 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,054 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,498 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens
Queens
New York
Bronx
Bronx
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

How are you getting to NYC? If you're flying, unless you're using Newark airport, staying anywhere in New Jersey is an awful idea aince both JFK and LGA are on the other side of Manhattan. Long Island City at a hotel near a subway is a much better option if Manhattan is too expensive. The Verve is a nice hotel and well below your budget. The Nesva is also nice and a bit newer. You might be able to get a hotel in Manhattan by bidding on Priceline.

On the right column of this page on the full website (not the mobile app) is a column titled Top Wuestions on NYC. 4th bullet down, must sees and must dos. 5th bullet how to ride the subway. LOADS of other good info there.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 12:34
Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Nesva Hotel
Nesva Hotel
532 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

The Verve Hotel in Long Island City, Queens has rates for less than $150/nt. The Newton on the Upper West Side of Manhattan does as well. I don't know much about the Newton other than that lots of folks on TA have used it as a budget-friendly option. The Verve is a very well run basic hotel and accessible to subway very easily. It is only 4 stops from Central Park and 6 stops from the Theater District.

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

Edited: 27 June 2014, 13:14
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Newton
Hotel Newton
1,620 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
802 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,375 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,575 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

Rates within OP's budget at the Newton are for shared bathroom. To get private bathroom, it's $186 plus tax.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Newton
Hotel Newton
1,620 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

You can get some Marriott hotels in Manhattan for $ 150 per night for your dates (namely the Fairfield Inn Manhattan Penn Station OR the Lexington), if you use their best rate guarantee. I've sent you a private message with more info.

Mentioned in this post
The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Lexington Hotel...
4,106 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Monroe...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

I ended up booking Hotel Stanford for $183 per night. Their website says that there is a subway station very near the hotel (it is on W 32nd). I'm hoping that this is within walking distance of some things that we may want to do/see.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Stanford
Hotel Stanford
1,713 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

The location is central, but I don't know if it's the best quality hotel for your money... it looks to have OK enough reviews.

West Monroe...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

I actually ended up getting the room for $158 per night with a discount from the booking service. There was nothing else that was that affordable in the area.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

Is the rate non-refundable? I sent you a message with a couple of suggestions in your price range, although if the rate is not cancellable, then it probably doesn't matter anymore.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC trip July 28-31

Why don't you try Priceline?