We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

I have to be in Long Beach NY for a mid-week event in September. I am hoping to find a way to add a day to spend time in the City on either end of the event. Thinking of coming down from Boston via Amtrak, taking LIRR to Long Beach. I would be without a car. Assuming I have to be in Long Beach at an event 9-5 (ish), where would you stay? Hotwire lists JFK Airport and Rockville Center as nearest locations to Long Beach. Would you consider this a sensible plan? Would it be crazy to stay in the City and commute to my event for the two days?

The other option is to fly into Long Island airport and rent a car, which would not be my first choice since I would like to visit Manhattan and don't like the idea of taking a car into the City if I don't have to.

What do you recommend ?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Just stay at the Allegria.

http://www.allegriahotel.com/

There's no way to get to Rockville Center from Long Beach without your own car. You can stay at the hotels by the Jamaica train station, and they're convenient and cheap, but hella depressing. It's work. Will work pay for the Allegria?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

The only hotels I am aware of in Long Beach LI are the http://www.allegriahotel.com/ and http://www.longbeachhotelny.com/ Not sure of the quality/costs of either.

There are people who live in Long Beach and commute.

I'd recommend you review the LIRR train schedule to get an idea of the time and costs involved. http://lirr42.mta.info/stationInfo.php?id=105

A reverse commute from a hotel convenient to Penn Station might be possible.

For more detailed help post dates. number of beds needed and desired/maximum budget

Edited: 27 June 2014, 15:41
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Check if your destination in Long Beach is near the LIRR railroad station. You may need to take a taxi to your workplace.

Here is the full schedule (it is very hard to find on the mta web site):

…mta.info/lirr/…LongBeachBranch.pdf

I looked at the schedule. The train from Penn Station to Long Beach (eastbound) runs only every 45 minutes or so in the morning. That's pretty bad. Try to stay at a Long Beach Hotel if you can.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 15:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Thanks, It's just me... budget would be under 200-/night if possible. I'd rather stay in the City and commute than stay in a depressing/dumpy place.

Is Long Beach ok for walking around day/night? Just curious. I'll be solo. Feisty middle-aged Irish Bostonian. I'll leave my Sox cap at home! :)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Also, when you say "Fly into Long Island", what you really SHOULD mean is fly into NYC. The closest airports are LaGuardia in Queens County, and JFK, also in Queens County, and about a 25-minute drive to Long Beach. All of those are on the "Island of Long", and the traditional "Long Island" airport is in Islip which is about 35 miles from Long Beach, and has very few flights compared to the others which are 10 miles from Long Beach.

Heck, you could also take Amtrak into NYC, take a subway train (the E train) to Jamaica (to avoid traffic and higher rental rates) and rent a car there to stay wherever you'd like for a day or two, then dump the car, move into Manhattan without the car; you could instead stay in Long Island CIty (a neighborhood 2 miles from midtown Manhattan) to save money on your hotel. I vote for the Country Inn and Suites on Crescent St. near "Queensboro Plaza" station of the N,Q, and 7 trains, or the La Quinta Inn at 37-18 Queens Blvd. near the the "40-Lowery" subway station of the 7 Local.

Here are maps:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

http://web.mta.info/maps/service_guide.pdf

web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

You know, I looked again at the Schedule and during the morning, it's not too bad from Penn Station. Stay at a hotel around 34th St between 6th and 9th Avenues, and be in the LIRR section of Penn Station about 15 minutes before the train leaves.

The LIRR section's easiest entrance is at 32nd and 7th.

Remember: There are 20 numbered Streets to a mile, and 7 numbered Avenues to a mile, so 29th and 7th is VERY close, 32nd and 5th, not so close.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Plan A... You could stay in Manhattan (near Penn Station makes most sense) take the LIRR daily and if necessary, a taxi from the train station in Long Beach. People do that commute in reverse daily, so if the train times work and you'd prefer that, it would be fine. That said, Manhattan hotel prices in Sept can be must awful. A lot of Long Beach is very nice and the Allegria is on the beach. it,s a pretty beach there. Some parts of Long Beach may be nearer another LIRR trainstation though, so check that out. Plan B would be to stay in Long Beach at the Allegria if that,s where the event is (or near the event) and then move to Manhattan when it's over.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Thanks all. Lots to think about. Am thinking most strongly of staying in Manhattan if I can swing it.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
834 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

Stay in a hotel near Penn station and commute into Long Beach. You might be able to walk from the (Long Beach) train station to your destination. If not, taxis are available.

The Allegria Hotel is expensive and has gotten some terrible reviews. Although it looks pretty and is on the boardwalk.

Yes, it’s safe to walk about around Long Beach. Just use common sense, etc. Hope you get to enjoy the beach and/or boardwalk.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HotwirLocation Question - Recommendation Long Beach NY - NYC

If you can't swing a hotel in Manhattan or Long Beach, then you CAN stay in Rockville Centre and use public transportation to Long Beach. You can easily take the LIRR from Rockville Centre to Lynbrook (one stop) then take the LIRR to Long Beach. Rockville Centre is a great little village with great restaurants and bars, and most of the hotels in RVC are within walking distance of the train station.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 17:03