We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Arriving at 265 Route 3 east, Cilfton, NJ. Family of 4 with 2 children 12 and 14. Would like to visit New York. We will be arriving on Thursday in August and stay 5 nights. Have business related work on Friday in Brooklyn. Will be free afternoon. We will visit Metropolitan museum of art on Saturday AM. Any advise for New York tour using local transit. Please advise us for effective use of our time and money. Places we should not miss.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Gee, Clifton wouldn't be my first choice to base a NYC visit! Nor even my 2nd or 3rd choice. Why did you pick Clifton. And how are you getting here (driving?)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

But to answer your direct question about public transit, I don't know Clifton but it looks like you're staying at the La Quinta and you can either take a bus or a train. To take a bus you need to get to the "Rt 3 at Clifton Commons Entrance" and take the NJ Transit 191 bus

map to get to bus pickup point http://goo.gl/maps/zAEVZ

NJ Transit bus information www.njtransit.com put in from "265 New Jersey 3, Clifton, NJ 07014" and to "Port Authority Bus Terminal"

bus 191 schedule http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1191.pdf

and it's going to cost you $11 round trip for adults plus $5 round trip for kids under 12 - that's per day so it's not cheap

there's also apparently a train but you'd have to drive to the trains station and I have no idea whether you can park there

Why don't you post your dates of travel and budget to see if someone can come up with a better choice

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Call the actual front desk (not the 800 number for the chain) of the La Quinta Inn and ask them if a bus stops within walking distance on Route 3. Then you can go to the bus company (probably NJ Transit) website and download the bus schedule. Also ask the hotel if their shuttle van will take you to and from the Delawanna train station. That requires a change to PATH in Hoboken to get to NYC, but on a business day, it might be faster than the bus. On Saturday, the bus is probably best.

Unfortunately, the Met Museum is not on any subway line, so you'll have to take a NYC bus part of the way, but at least there is a free transfer from your first subway train (E train uptown to 5th Avenue stop) to the Madison Avenue (multiple) busses. Or you could ride the E to Lexington Avenue and change to the uptown 6 train, to 77th Street. But if it's a nice day, I'd walk.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Thanks for suggestion.

Does MetroPass works for both NJ and NY?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

I;m going to bump this up for you.

The NYC Metro Pass for the state of New York does not work in the state of New Jersey,

The locals will be along.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

Agree that this is a very inconvenient location for visiting New York.

If you have to stay there and can get to the train station, you can get in to Manhattan from the Delawanna Station. Although the trains are heading to Hoboken, there's a transfer point for New York Penn Station trains at Secaucus Junction. This station was built specifically so that passengers from stations that had only been served by Hoboken service could reach Manhattan on New Jersey Transit trains.

If you want to get to Metropolitan Museum from Penn Station I'd take the uptown C train to 86th Street and transfer there for the M86 bus across Central Park. This will take you right to the museum. Subway to bus tansfers are free with a Metrocard, which you need anyway to get on the subway in the first place.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 12:12
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

No, the Metrocard (not MetroPass, no such thing) only works on New York City public transit, and some of them on PATH trains from Hoboken. In any case, you can't buy a Metrocard in Clifton, as far as I know. Note that boarding a bus INSIDE Port Authority Bus Terminal-Manhattan requires possession of a ticket (from the attended booths on the ground floor, or machines.) On Route 3 in Clifton the first time, you can pay with cash, but try not to present a $20 bill - it's unfair to the driver and delays the other passengers. The paper tickets are good more than one day, so you can buy as many as you'll need on the first arrival in Port Authority.

8. Re: New York visit from Clifton, NJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17