We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Rough Itinerary

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Feedback on Rough Itinerary

Going with my sister (mid20s, her 2nd time in NYC), and my nephew (age 6, first time in NYC)

Question: Worth going to a Yankees game? My nephew isn't into sports but he might look back and say he was there lol. We're not big on sports either.

Otherwise:

Wednesday arrive around noon

Visit FAO Schwarz, go on carriage ride, possibly go to Sony Wonder Technology Lab

(taking it easy as we will be up very early for our 7am flight)

Thursday

morning/early afternoon Central Park Zoo & carousel

late afternoon Empire State Building

evening Matilda

Friday

daytime The Beast Speedboat ride & WTC 9/11 Memorial

late afternoon/evening Brooklyn Bridge & maybe Coney Island

Saturday

a little shopping in the morning

afternoon maybe Yankees game

evening Bryant Park carousel and Times Square spots for nephew (Toys R Us, Nintendo store, Disney store)

Sunday

morning/early afternoon anything we didn't do because of weather or time

late afternoon- leave NYC

Any glaring omissions? Anywhere we MUST take my nephew? Any things we should add as "optional depending on time"?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

Hi Sarah, you're in the same area on both Wednesday and Thursday - you could do all your Wednesday things on Thursday to group them better and visit the Empire State Building (weather permitting) on Wednesday afternoon.

Coney Island is a long trip out - ~an hour each way - so that makes your Friday a long (but doable day).

Another carousel is Jane's Carousel on the DUMBO Promenade - right under the Brooklyn Bridge. Absolutely gorgeous. http://janescarousel.com/

You could give your nephew vouchers for the three carousels in advance! Let us know which one he likes the best.

Another thing you could do is take the aerial tram over to Roosevelt Island. It's really wonderful. Walk down to the FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park at the southern tip - gorgeous views.

Looks like a lovely trip for your 6 year old nephew. There's so much you're not doing, but it's only a few days and seems you've organised it around having a child with you and he might not be interested in doing more adult focused things (eg strolling around a neighborhood).

I wouldn't go to the game with him if he's not interested in sport - it's a big chunk out of your day.

Why not try a children's focussed tour at the Met Museum instead - http://www.metmuseum.org/learn/for-kids . The Temple of Dendur is really spectacular.

Have a great time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

At that age, my son's favorite things were the American Museum of Natural History and climbing the Statue of Liberty (he wanted to do it a second time as soon as we finished).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

I wouldn't do the carriage ride

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

Hey Sarah P:-) The rec of the AMNH is a great one for a 6 yr old.. you may be able to combine it with Central Park.. since it's right there on Central Park West.. from 77th to 81st Streets;-) Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

Yep agree that the AMNH is a wonderful idea. I wonder if you can take a tour that caters for children? Frangipani is a tour guide at the AMNH and I am sure she'll jump in here to let you know. It doesn't look like there's anything specific on their set tours: www.amnh.org/plan-your-visit/public-tours except the 'Night at the Museum' tours.

Here's a link to a self guided walk - www.amnh.org/explore/kids-guide-to-the-museum .

6. Re: Feedback on Rough Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:16