We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary. Christmas day

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary. Christmas day

Hello we are working out our itinerary for New York. We will be there from the 23rd December until the 2nd January. We thought planning what to do on Christmas day would be the best day to start with. We know that we want to go for a meal some where, any suggestions? What kind of meals do they do on Christmas day? Turkey dinner? We also want to see the Huge Christmas tree at the Rockafeller and watch the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular concert (booking the 7pm shown next week)

Because we have another 8 days here we would like to do the most Christmasy things on Christmas day. Looking forward to suggestions. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Visit Central Park and enjoy, Then then see the amazing Christmas decorations in the store windows and on the buildings ...start at Bloomingdales, walk across to Barneys, then head down 5th Avenue starting at 59th....

Edited: 29 June 2014, 13:31
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Yes i forgot to mention Central Park. So Central Park ice skating, Christmas dinner, Rockafeller tree and watch ice skating then the Rockettes show at 7pm. Will there be more time for other stuff during the day?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Well whether you have time for other things will depend on how much time you spend in Central Park. How much time you spend in Central Park will most likely depend on the weather which is variable. If it is 42 degrees and sunny with minimal wind you could spend all day there. If it is 20 degrees, overcast and very windy, you may not last long without seeking shelter.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Which park is more christmasy on christmas day? Bryant or Central

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Bryant park has a big Christmas tree, holiday market and skating rink, although I am not sure what hours the market and rink will be open. It's much more christmassy than central park but also much much smaller.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,330 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Last year's holiday thread should give you some ideas:

tripadvisor.com/…53972764

The Empire State Building and Top of the Rock are open on Christmas Day. The Staten Island ferry and the Roosevelt Island tram run on Christmas. The parks are open, of course, as are the zoos and aquarium. You can also wander through Midtown or other neighborhoods and look at the Christmas trees, decorations, and windows.

Enjoy!

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

The traditional day for turkey dinners in the US is Thanksgiving, and by Christmas a lot of people are all "turkeyed out", and so while some people in the US may have turkey for Christmas, it isn't any kind of tradition and it's not anywhere near as common here as it is in the UK. You will find all sorts of food being served for Christmas in restaurants, including roast beef, ham, chicken, lasagna, fish -- and perhaps even turkey!

The skating rink at Central Park is bigger, and the wait should be shorter, which might be more pleasant. The most traditional thing that I can think to do on Christmas day is go to church, but I don't know if you do that. If you do, St. Thomas Episcopal (i.e., Anglican) church on Fifth Avenue has a wonderful choir of men and boys, much like the C of E cathedrals do in the UK, and they are well worth hearing. (Meanwhile, my Jewish friends tell me that for Jews in NYC, the traditional thing to do on Christmas day is to have Chinese food and to go to a movie!)

Linda

Iowa
Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

I would go to church if you didn't go on Christmas eve!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

>>Rockefeller<<

Bryant Park is more compact and I would say more Christmassy as compared to CP.

And, yes, turkey dinner is a traditional Thanksgiving Day meal - usually it is the individuals taste in the US what is served for Christmas. Many have a beef roast - some do a combo, my daughter does baked stuffed shrimp and filet mignon.

No real set in stone Christmas meal..........eat what you like - as you are doing this as a family that is the most important element.

Poppa

Edited: 29 June 2014, 22:49
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary. Christmas day

Over the Christmas period Bryant Park is full of small tents where people sell gifts and trinkets and Christmassy things - I am not sure they will actually be open on Christmas Day - I hope not! If that's the case then I don't think I'd go to Bryant Park on that day. As you can see on Frangipani's list there are many other holiday markets.

NYC is very very Christmassy in many parts of it - especially in the midtown area you're focussing on. There'll be lots of things to do on Christmas Day. Great ideas provided on this thread and on Frangipani's list.

You might want to go over to Dyker Heights (on your own or via a tour) to see the holiday lights - they are amazing. Details on Frangipani's link.

But what you do will depend on the weather as another poster has already mentioned.

" Central Park ice skating, Christmas dinner, Rockafeller tree and watch ice skating then the Rockettes show at 7pm"

Sounds great and busy enough....add looking at the windows and buildings as you walk from Central Park to Rockefeller Centre (see the map on Frangipani's post and you'll be exhausted and happy by the end of the day).

Many tourists go to Rock Center Cafe for lunch on Christmas Day:

www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php…

They love it, you can book in advance and it'll be in the right location for you given your plans. There are many other places that will have Christmas lunch. Many will post their details closer to the time and you can book 30 days in advance. I think bookings for Rock Center Cafe open earlier.