We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Denmark
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Just thought I'd share our itiniary for our 3.5 days on a budget with children aged 10 and 13.

The first day we walked through the southern part of Central Park, then went to Battery Park and took the free ferry to Staten Island, taking in the views of The Statue of Liberty on the way. Staten Island itself was a funny little time capsule of a small town way out in the country so after having eaten our picnic we went back. Being in that area we looked at Wall Street though the kids found it boring.

The second day we went to the Apple Store by Central Park as that was a dear wish on behalf of the teenager. Next stop was The Brooklyn Bridge. Then another subway train and walking up Times Square - where I personally was going klaustrophobic from the crowds. But Bryant Park just before that was great. They even had an outdoor library. We went on to admire Grand Central Station before we called it a day and ordered Chinese take-out for dinner.

On the third day the kids were getting very tired from jetlag and walking. So we took it easy and browsed around Broadway near Penn Station, looking for souvenirs and having frequent stops. Then we walked The High Line Park and that was probably my best, at least most surprising experience - highly recommended. We ended up at Chelsea Market, also very nice.

On the last day we took the Roosevelt Island Tramway. That was fun. Not a whole lot to do on the island and the bus to the southern end had just left. But the ride and the views are fun. We took the subway to 110. St. to walk a bit in the nothern part of Central Park. We had hope for a vista view but didn't find it.

I loved how there were so many small spaces, many of them green, for sitting down and they were used by all. The subway was fast, cleaner than I thought and less crowded than the Tube in London. A great way to get around. Other than souvenirs we didn't do any shopping at all as we were going on to Portland, OR, with zero sales tax. It was very hot so I suggest bringing a hat in the summer. We found our accomodation through homeexchange.com where we have been members for many years.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised, loved what we saw and hope to return - with or without the family :-)

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Glad you enjoyed your time here. The High line has become quite popular & I am constantly surprised too by the new additions.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your U.S. travels.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Great TR.

You said "Overall I was pleasantly surprised,"..i was just curious what got you pleasantly surprised ? What did you expect NYC to be before you arrived ? :)

Btw, enjoy Portland it is an amazing city.

Denmark
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

I was surprised at how I felt about being in such a big city. I don't like being in London much anymore. But at least from 59'th and down, New York is such a vibrant and fun place to me. Other than Times Square I didn't feel crowded and I loved how there are so many creative uses for the city space. All I wanted to do was to people watch all day and turn into a street photographer. The energy of Manhattan felt bubbly and enthusiastic rather than hectic and strained.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Thanks so much for sharing. Given I am traveling with a little one ( I say little but he's 9 and almost as tall as me haha) its really helpful hearing about other family trips.

Can I ask how did the children find it? Did the enjoy experiencing NYC? Was there anything they enjoyed the most?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again, Maria xx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

Great little report. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

"The energy of Manhattan felt bubbly and enthusiastic rather than hectic and strained."

Great description.

Re that view from Roosevelt Island - the best one IS on the Southern tip - shame you missed that bus. But for others reading this thread, it's not that far to walk.

The southern tip is now the FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park. I think it's an amazing piece of landscape architecture and then there are THOSE views down the East River. http://www.fdrfourfreedomspark.org/ (It's closed on Tuesdays, so don't visit RI that day if you want to make your way to this beautiful Park).

Denmark
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

I figured we did miss out on a great view of Manhattan by not going to the southern tip. But the kids were absolutely exhausted and I'll be back - hopefully on a slightly cooler day.

Maria, ask away! I find the problem with big cities is the walking you always end up doing. To me a good plan is to look at what I think I have time for and then cross out half of the items. We discovered that the distance between the Avenues is bigger than between the Streets so take that into account.

My youngest, my daughter of 10, was very excited and mainly because she got to walk in the footsteps of several of her Disney Channel series. If you can take some of your son's favorites (Spiderman or whatever) and show him the places in real life, I bet he is going to love it.

We always do fewer sights (especially those with crowds) and have breaks involving ice cream and other treats instead. You'll find good places to sit and relax all over Manhattan. We also always schedule at least a couple of hours back at the room to relax before going out for dinner and if we wake early, we hang out with iPads until around 10 anyway. My rule is that if I'm tired, then my kids certainly are as well and it's either time for a break or a bribe.

My oldest loved the elevator at the Apple Store. They didn't get why we had to walk halfway out on a bridge and back. They also didn't get Wall Street. But they had heard about Times Square, Empire State and Central park so those places held some interest.

In general we love to travel with our kids simply so they can see how things can be different than at home and we spend time talking about the differences.

Denmark
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

PS

My husband downloaded the App from Tripadvisor and it was great! Without being on-line we could find everything we were looking for and save a lot of steps and frustration.

9. Re: Here is what we did with four days and two kids in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17