We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

We'll be visiting relatives in New Jersey over Labor Day weekend and are planning to come into NYC to visit the 9/11 museum. I was planning to have everyone meet at my mother-in-laws house at about 11 a.m. and getting 1 p.m. tickets for the museum.

Is it necessary or if not necessary recommended to get tickets in advance. Being a holiday weekend, I'm trying to get a final head count regarding relatives who would like to come and make advanced reservations. I talked to relatives on the phone today and should have a head count in a week and a half.

I was planning to just do the $25 dollar or so general admission rather than also doing the 1 hour tour, as many family members would prefer to just explore on their own. Sounds like we don't need the tour to be moved / get a lot out of it. Let me know, though, if you think I'm making a mistake not booking that. (FYI: I am paying for everyone, so $25 per person instead of $42 per person sounds better for my budget too.)

Am I right that we should plan on about three hours or so? That would be perfect, as we'll be heading back to New Jersey after this outing and taking everyone out to dinner including some relatives who won't be coming into the city.

Any other advice? We'll be taking the train into Penn Station and then taking a subway over to the memorial / 9/11 museum.

Thanks so much.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

**Is it necessary or if not necessary recommended to get tickets in advance.**

For what sounds like a group...yes. Get tickets in advance.

**I was planning to just do the $25 dollar or so general admission rather than also doing the 1 hour tour**

General admission is fine. I didn't take the tour and spend 3 1/2 hrs at the Museum. I went at my own pace and had no issues.

**Am I right that we should plan on about three hours or so?**

Different for everyone. But that should work.

**Any other advice? We'll be taking the train into Penn Station and then taking a subway over to the memorial / 9/11 museum.**

Sounds like a plan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

I hope the group is all adults.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like our plans should work.

Yes all adults if you consider an 18 year old and older to be an adult.

Age break out of the relatives going: 18 year old (DS) -- This is something he is very interested in seeing (DS graduated from high school this past may and will be a college freshman this fall), two in their 20s, 25 and 29 (my niece and nephew), and a bunch of us in our 50s (probably six of us -- that includes me and my husband, my brother in law and sister in law and maybe spouses too). My mother in law who is 90 (doing really well for that age) is going to skip, but we'll pick her up for dinner afterwards (reason we are going back to New Jersey for dinner).

Edited: 01 July 2014, 00:33
4. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 03:09
5. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 03:05
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us knew what you meant. :)

7. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 03:10
Edited: 01 July 2014, 03:10
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

The Museum is not an adult only facility.

I saw a group of teens there on what looked like a class trip when i went. I also saw parents with children..many who had on NYPD/FDNY/etc personal "tribute" tee-shirts. I am guessing that they may have been related to first responders.

9. Re: 9/11 Museum Outing -- Sun. of Labor Day weekend

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17