We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Lincoln Center?

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
What to do near Lincoln Center?

We have tickets to attend a taping of LIVE with Kelly and Michael during our trip. I'm looking for recommendations of things to do near there besides Central Park.

I was thinking that the taping would take most of the morning. Is it feasible to walk to the Plaza Hotel and have lunch in the food court afterwards? (Any other meal suggestions appreciated) I figure this would be a good day to do Central Park in the afternoon since we will be right near it. Dinner suggestions appreciated also.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

You can walk to the Plaza, but it's probably a 20. min. walk. I'd either go to the Boat House in Central Park for lunch or Robert Restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design with a great view of the park. I belive both take reservations on

Opentable.com

They're both closer to the studio. The museum itself is definitely worth a look. The's also some nice shopping/lookng in the Time Warner Buildng at Columbus Circle.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

PS there's a book shop at Lincoln Center and the whole Lincoln Center campus is beautiful. The are tours, but you're not likely to be able to make a 10:30 tour.

Lincolncenter.org

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

New York is not hard to get around. Lunch at the Plaza or other places in the area are a good idea. But the whole famous part of the city is less than 15 minutes away by taxi or subway. So why spend the whole day on the south side of Central Park when you can go wherever you like?

It's funny that you pick the Plaza Hotel, since no one thinks the Plaza at 5th Avenue and 59th is close to where the TV show is done at Columbus Avenue and W. 67 St, where ABC has had its TV studios for about 60 years. Well, it turns out that Columbus Avenue is like 9th Avenue, so you are asking what's nearby and then picking a location that is 4 avenues (4/7ths of a mile) + 8 streets (8/20ths of a mile) away. That's a total of about one mile away. The tkts booth at Times Square is as close, as is Zabars' Food Emporium and a million other places. I'm not saying the Plaza isn't a good idea (it is), but it's as close as nearly everything else is in New York. When you finish lunch, you can go down Fifth Avenue, visit Times Square, visit the Museums on 5th Avenue, the Zoo, travel for 15 minutes to Greenwich Village, whatever you want, and eat dinner wherever you spend your afternoon, or wherever you want to go for the evening. The entire famous part of the city is only 6 miles long x 2 miles wide.

And get to the TV show theater early; the ticket is NOT a guarantee in; it only allows you the opportunity to get on the line to get in. They give out more tickets than there are seats, because they are free, and some people don't show up; but if everyone does show up and you are last in line, you are out of luck. And since the show is done live, it starts at 9:00 and ends on the dot of 10:00 (unless it's an advance recording for some other day or week), so you will be out by 10:30, since nothing can be cut or redone, the way recorded shows are; those can take a couple hours with breaks, extra setups, redone parts, lots of extra parts where they only choose the best (I went to a quiz show in London that took nearly 2 hours for a half hour show).

Summary: New York is different from most places: Everything is crowded and nothing is far away.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 19:00
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

Thank you nywhiz for your suggestions. The Boat House was on my tentative list of places to dine. It looks so beautiful!

How much time should we a lot for Central Park? There are three of us on a girls' trip. We are not interested in the Zoo, so no need to leave time for that.

This will be my second time to NYC, but the first for the other two girls. I did not have a hand in planning the last trip, so I'm coming across a lot of questions as I'm beginning to make a itinerary.

NorthofDC, thanks for your suggestions also. I guess I am the only person who thinks the Plaza is somewhat close to Lincoln Center. I was just looking at the map. I was just thinking that since we planned to do Central Park one day, it was a good idea to visit there on the day mentioned since we were already close. IDK. With so many options (and so many places I don't know about) planning is the hardest part!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,717 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

The issue with the area is that, if you're a movie buff, this is the area that Bernstein & company set West Side Story & the movie was filmed around there. The problem is that, right after the movie was filmed the area was razed for development & so there's not a lot of charming places to see as that was all removed for urban development.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

Tavern on the Green in Central Park at West 66th St. has reopened, but reviews have not been the best.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

You can spend 30 mins. or an entire day in the park. I'm not a big zoo fan and I still love that one. I like watching the polar bears and the seals. Rowing in Central Park is also fun. There are daily walking tours (free) of the park. Look on the official Central Park website. I also so like Robert's for lunch. Have a look for maybe another day. Where are you staying? What kind of food do you like?

Make sure you take a cruise of some sort. The Yacht Manhattan is fun with

Sail-ny.com

Sometimes

Goldstar.com

has discounts.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,904 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

You can also go up the west side from LC and visit the AMNH or the N-Y Historical Society.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

Keep in mind, one of New Yorks finest in Italian dining is right inside the center open for lunch most days. Lincoln Ristorante, quite stunning looking, and home to the best pasta dish I've had this year --

Strozzapreti (named after someone envisioned a pasta shape while witnessing a priest being strangled, or something like that) con aragosta (lobster pasta with lobster and scallop sausage, tarragon and peas)

…chow.com/topics/979762#photo=1164542

Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do near Lincoln Center?

We are staying at the Hyatt Times Square. We have crown tickets for SOL, but we're thinking of another cruise of so,e sort. Too much doing both? I'll check out your links.