We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

California
Level Contributor
211 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

This is our 2nd trip to New York City and we are so excited!!! As our first trip had a little hiccup prior to our arrival, so we really want to make this trip extra special. We tried to visit Central Park the first time and a huge down pour of rain fell upon us, so we had to cut our experience of central park short. I was wondering any thoughts on if it is better to experiece the park on our own or is it more beneficial to take a tour, we were possibly thinking of renting bikes, but as I read through reviews, a lot voted against it as people experienced a lot of walking alongside their bikes as opposed to riding them. Thanks for the feedback

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

Do both. Take a tour and then go back on your own. Biking is fun but not a good way to really see the park. It's a way to exercise and it's transportation.

Walkingoffthebigapple.com

Has great self guided wakiing tours of the whole city and a number of the park. Here's one for a hot day

http://www.walkingoffthebigapple.com/2012/07/central-park-south-shady-walk-for-day.html?q=Central+park

Edited: 30 June 2014, 23:38
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

You will see more of the park if you walk vs riding a bike. I find it much more relaxing to just wander around and discover things on my own. You may miss a few details here and there (including any additional info that a tour guide might provide) but I think it's more fun to explore it yourself. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a decent map (paper or on a smartphone) for general directions, but you probably don't need it unless there is something specific you want to see.

You will not see the entire park in a few hours or even a whole day - just wander around and see where fate takes you!

-JimG

New York City
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

The biggest con is you might get lost, You can easily lose your direction which way is which (The park was meant to get lost in) I always look at the buildings outside to know which direction is which

I recommend renting a rowboat, they are cheap I think $12 or $15 (I forgot) for one hour. Its my favorite thing in the park

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

For more than 40 years our favorite piece of the Park is the "Ramble" where for 30-40 minutes we can stroll through perhaps the most rustically beautiful part of the City….it is sort of like being in an upstate NY woods. And for more information, see: centralpark.com/guide/attractions/ramble.html

CH

Edited: 01 July 2014, 00:23
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

The correct link to the "source," as it were, is http://www.centralparknyc.org . Here's a link directly to the page about the Ramble, which is lovely: centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attr…

CentralPark.com is just an advertising site. As their website says, in very hidden, tiny print, "Note: CentralPark.com is not officially linked to the New York City Parks Department or the Central Park Conservancy. CentralPark.com also does not in any way represent the Central Park Zoo or the Wildlife Conservation Society."

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

Yup. And for a history and some great additional information about the Ramble, please see:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ramble_and_Lake

CH

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

As you have probably seen before, bikes are limited to the Park Drive that is mostly a long oval affair on the outer edge of the park. The route is not good for seeing things in the park or the surrounding buildings.

The value of a tour depends on its quality. A good tour would include the Oak Bridge and the Stone Arch on the western side of the Rambles and Belvedere Castle. One that would do little more than the Mall, Bethesda Fountain, and Strawberry Fields is probably not worth it. These you could find yourself without much trouble. There are many statues in the park, a large number of which are of persons now of forgotten fame.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 02:54
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

The official CP website is the best option on planning your "tour" of CP - give it a go: www.centralparknyc.org

Poppa

9. Re: Pro/Con of Exploring Central Park on your own or with tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 07:17