We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Atlanta
Level Contributor
160 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

I will be traveling solo to NYC in early September for a quick get away. The last time in NY my friends and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Times Square at 790 8th Av. The hotel was close to the theatres and Times Square and from what I remember very clean. For this trip, I looked into to staying there again reserving through Hilton.com but before finalizing the reservation saw a cheaper rate at the Hampton Inn Times Square North at 851 8th Av., a short block or two away from the Hilton. The difference in price would equal another theatre ticket. Plus the Hampton seems to be closer to a Starbucks and Chipotle but then again we are talking about less than 2 blocks. For anyone that has perhaps stayed at both give you provide pros/cons or your picks. Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,771 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Biggest difference is room colors. The HI is a bit dark but I'd save the money. Look on

Oyster.com

For photos of both. Are you sure there's not something even nicer?

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Hampton Inns are actually part of the Hilton Chain.

As I am a Hilton VIP Gold member I stay at both in general (Not in NYC) I am happy at both, Hamptons are little cheaper but not much different

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Hamptons give you included breakfast, Hiltons do not unless you are Gold or higher.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
160 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Thanks everyone for the quick helpful responses.

NY Wiz: As I'm going solo these were the best in my price range and close to the theatre as I am traveling to mainly catch as many Broadway shows as possible. But I'm open to suggestions.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

NYC is safe, I wouldnt worry about safety in either one

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,771 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

If you want other options, you'd need to post your exact dates.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
160 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Dates - August 29 through September 2

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

We are also staying at the Hampton Inn at Times Square North the end of August. We were booked at another hotel but switched.

Alabama
Level Contributor
971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

Stayed in that HGI and could look up the avenue (8th) and see the Hampton. HGI doesn't provide a free breakfast like Hampton, but my teen daughter doesn't "do" breakfast, so it wasn't worth the higher price at Hampton just for me to eat. I walked across the street to the "little green corner market" and got some single-serving cereal bowls, some plastic spoons, some milk, and some OJ. When that was gone, I got some blueberry bread at the Food Emporium and replenished the OJ. 5 days of breakfasts for little $$$.

You will love the location to subway stations, theaters, and Times Square. Just be sure to request a room ABOVE the 4th floor or you'll hear the subway EVERY time. We were on the 8th floor, looking at 8th Avenue.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Help - A Hilton or a Hampton

While the self serve breakfast is free and not bad, the breakfast room was quite crowded between 8 and 9 am when I stayed there in 2009. The location is great, it's on the edge of Times Square and theaters are all within a few minutes walking distance. The rooms and the staff were great.