We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in March 2015

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
36 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
New York in March 2015

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to come to New York in March 2015. Can you please give me an idea

of what the weather will be like at that time of year.

Also just how long would we need to see the essentials of New York and just what

do people in NYC consider to be the essentials for a tourist (1st time) to see???

Many thanks, look forward to your replies.

Craig

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in March 2015

-Take a look on the right at the FAQ's..."what are the must see's and do."

A week may be enough time t see many of the attractions and also explore the neighborhoods(you don;t just want to race from 1 place to another.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in March 2015

How long will you be here? Regardless, chances are you won't be able to see everything, and everyone's interests are different, so only you can decide what your 'must dos' will be. Lots of museums? Lots of theatre? Sport? A foodie focus? Lots of shopping? The list goes on! As ter says, you should start researching and putting together a list of the things that sound interesting to you. :)

As for weather, March is a wildcard. In 2012 we had a very early Spring and by the third week of March it was warm and lovely, flowers were up, and trees were blooming. In 2014 it remained below freezing the entire month of March and looked completely wintery. Usually it's somewhere in-between: not frigidly cold, but not yet Spring bloom (so the trees will still be bare).

Have fun planning!

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in March 2015

March will be cold, so take that in mind first.

Are you set on March? For a first timer and specially coming from far I'd suggest on going when the weather is nice. May and early June, or September-October.

Many attractions like Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Central Park, are not toroughly enjoyable when is cold.

Again, for a first timer I'd suggest at least a full week. You could accomplish a lot in 1 week without feeling rushed.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,692 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in March 2015

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s208/New-York-…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in March 2015

Early March can be somewhat wintry. Later March tends to be milder, but still jacket weather and cold weather is possible.

It's a bit of a dreary month, but is one of the better times to choose for a mix of affordability plus reasonably comfortable weather for touring around (probably not bitterly cold or boiling hot)

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in March 2015

My first time to New York was mid April 2014! It was gorgeous (unseasonably) warm weather (especially considering it had been quite cold up until I went), and I had only a light jacket (even hot in a t-shirt in the sun at times), however, on a cold day or in the evenings (or at the Top of the Rock, waiting at the stagedoor, on the Brooklyn Bridge in the wind, etc), you could get quite chilled. As you're looking to go in March, I would be prepared to be cold. If you prepare with cold in mind (but pack options for warmer weather), you won't be caught off guard or disappointed with cold weather. Take it in stride, and go with the mindset that New York is truly beautiful (and a worthwhile trip) in ANY weather!

I was there for four days, and although my visit did feel a little bit rushed, I managed to get in pretty much all of the things I had on my must-do list. Things that I would recommend for a first-timer in NYC:

-Walk around the heart of the theatre district. Times Square (especially at nighttime). Really honestly breathtaking.

-See at least one Broadway show (or off-broadway. Or really just anything theatrey. You're in New York, for goodness sake!). If you want discounts, go to the TKTS booth in Times Square in the daytime of whatever night you're looking to go. Sometimes you'll find tickets for as good as 50% off! It's really the best deal anyways. (And don't trust any discount tickets that aren't the TKTS booth. they're either scams or illegal).

-If you're debating Top of the Rock or Empire State building, go with Top of the Rock. Slightly cheaper, smaller line, same view (except better because you can see the landmark Empire State FROM the Top of the Rock, as well as Central Park on the other side). It's beautiful, really. And if you go in daylight just before sunset is due, you can see the view in daylight, sunset, and nighttime.

-Grand Central Terminal. It's really worth it - remember to look up. (Also I'd say check out the whisper wall if you're already there, but don't make a special trip just for it if you're short on time. It's swamped with people and it's more than likely you won't even get a chance to try it out)

-ABSOLUTELY make the best of a sunny afternoon with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. At a fairly brisk walking pace, it took me no more than an hour to cross, but I would have liked to take more time, I think. But really, it's an absolutely gorgeous view.

-Check out Little Italy (and if you're looking for food, there's a little place called Parm just outside of Little Italy, and their baked ziti is to die for).

-Bryant Park was beautiful in early spring (and I'm sure it would be any time of year), so if you're walking near the area (it's between 40th & 42nd streets and 5th & 6th avenues), go sit with a coffee for a bit

-HAVE BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and considered that one of the things I absolutely HAD to do. I also visited the apartment in the film (in the upper east side), which is a darling brownstone in an upscale neighbourhood and it's fabulous

-Go to Ellen's Stardust Diner (very cool 50's style diner with singing waitstaff)

-Take a walk through Central Park!

Really, for a first time in New York, get all the touristy things out of the way, and then when you go back, you can cover all the things you wish you'd done the time before. ;) Just remember to look around you and take it all in (and believe me, there's a lot to take in). It's really the city that never sleeps, and it's like a dream come true.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in March 2015

LOVE that baked ziti at Parm Megan! As other have said, there's no one list of things one MUST do in NYC. It's a very subjective place to visit that caters to all tastes and interests. So I've narrowed down my list of iconic first time NYC stuff.

Grand Central Terminal

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge

Ride the Staten Island Ferry

Pastrami at Katz's Deli

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Central Park

But even these are OK to skip if you've got other interests or ideas!

Shawn

http://nytourguy.blogspot.com/

http://instagram.com/nytourguy

8. Re: New York in March 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 11:34
9. Re: New York in March 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 11:34
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in March 2015

Megan- it took you an HOUR to walk the Bridge at the Brisk Pace? was it packed?! I walked it at a normal pace last Wednesday morning and was across it in a half hour or less, and that was stopping to take over 100 photos along the way....