We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

My H and I are coming back to NYC in August for 10 days. We already have the hotel booked (JW Essex House) (freebie thanks to Marriott Points). We've been at least once every year for the last 8 years and are looking for something different. We've done all the typically touristy things and have been on a Metro North trip up the Hudson.

Not too bothered about price (or leaving Manhattan) - for the right thing we will spend the money and travel!

The only things that we have booked so far is Aladdin and a Mets game. We will also definitely be visiting the Bronx Zoo as we're annual members there.

Thanks in advance

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,216 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

How about spending a few days in the Hamptons?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

What dates?

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

9-19 August - flying into EWR mid afternoon and then back out of EWR on the evening of the 19th

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

It's also my H's birthday (a big one) whilst we are away so looking for recommendations. We normally go to Keens but open to other suggestions

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

What about going into the Hudson Valley & having dinner at the fancy restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America, the Bocuse.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

We were there for a month a while back so we got to really see some interesting spots we hadn't seen on previous trips..... Some possibilities for you to consider... Roosevelt Island (take the tram)..... vertical tour at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine..... rehearsals at Lincoln Center......

I posted photos and notes while we were there:

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful trip.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

Also, have you walked the High Line yet?

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

Yes we did the highline the first year that it was open, and go regularly to Roosevelt Island

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

Hi! Not fully sure what your interests may be, but here are some things I have taken different people to do:

- Bird watching tour in Central Park

- Sleep No More (interactive play)

- Museums: The Neue, The Frick, The Cloisters

- Festivals: This depends on your dates. Things like Smorgasburg, Photoville, Free GMA concerts, cool exhibits at the Javits Centre are happening all the time.

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not a first timer, looking for suggestions

Also there is Shakespeare in the Park as well as movies in Bryant Park in the summer!