We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

Deltona, FL
Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

Hello All, I will be traveling to NYC with my 13 year old son. Most of our 4 day trip will be focused on things he would enjoy. The one thing on our trip that is a Must See for me is a museum. Even though I am the one that wants to visit a museum I don’t want him to be totally bored. Which do you think he would enjoy more? Met, MoMA or Guggenheim? I am leaning towards MoMA. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,208 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,397 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

When I was 13, my favorite museum in NYC was the American Museum of Natural History. However, I think you may have meant to say, ART museum? You also didn't say whether your son thinks first in the morning about soccer or his computer or art class after school, if you see what I mean.

Most likely, the Met is the best choice, because you can decide after you get there, which kinds of art you want to see. And there's more than you could hope to see in three days! The Met is also the only one of those three that has Pay What You Wish admission pricing. The other factor would be whether you are already in the neighborhood of one of the others.

There are also "alternative" museums that might interest people with a strong leaning - The Museum of Art and Design (very centrally located), The Rubin Museum (Himalayan art), The Cloisters (medieval art), Japan Society, The Mathematics Museum, and many more.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 16:03
Mentioned in this post
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
183 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

Why not have him look at the websites for all three and decide for himself? See what exhibits are on and which are permanent - there may be something on when you are here that is particularly interesting to him.

At that age, I was already a smitten kitten for the Impressionists and pretty much all Modern Art, photography (of which is there is also a museum) - so, there may be something very interesting to him.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,938 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

For your average 13-year-old boy, I agree with obsoperator that AMNH is typically the best bet, the most interesting to them. If you're specifically looking for an art museum, I, too, would recommend the Met - it is way larger and has way more variety than MoMA or the Guggenheim. But MomCat has a great suggestion - let you son look at the websites and make the decision himself! :)

Mentioned in this post
15,208 Reviews
New York City, NY
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

The Met is not to be missed, especially if you love art museums as we do, and think you do too. That said the Met also has some great "teen programs" that your son may appreciate. For more information, see:

metmuseum.org/events/programs/teen-programs

CH

Edited: 01 July 2014, 16:14
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,284 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

The Met is very impressive and something he will always remember. You can mix typical "art" with other exhibits such as Ancient Egypt, Arms and Armour, etc. Be sure to do some advance research to have an idea of where you want to go.

If you let him choose, and he's resistant to the idea, there is the possibility that he will just choose the one that would be quickest ;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,560 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

Personally, I think there is a lot of benefit for getting kids - especially at his age and older - involved in the choices when going on vacation. It always made me feel more included that my choices/interests were being considered.

But, he is your son so I presume you have some very good idea of how he feels about art and what sort is of interest to him.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,181 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

I would say go with the Met. The choices have already been explained. MOMA is more limited in what it exhibits and if you teen is not into that type of art--he will be one very very unhappy camper.

Mentioned in this post
15,208 Reviews
New York City, NY
Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

I vote for the Met as well...unless he's looked at the info on each choice online and chooses another one. :-)

For a first time visitor, I recommend taking a Highlights tour: FREE. A docent will take you to many areas in an hour (or an hour and a half). A teen in motion is a good thing. :-)

New York City
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

Id Pick the Met , Every 13 year old loves a Mummy

Edited: 01 July 2014, 17:21
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Met, MoMA or Guggenheim with a Teen

I agree with the Met but...

1. I wouldn't show him the Met's web site. Their web site is awful and doesn't begin to convey how wonderful it is. It amazes me that one of the worlds greatest art museums has such an uninspiring web site

2. My two teens love MOMA and are blase about the Met - for reasons that escape me. I can't figure out why except maybe its because I don't particularly like MOMA

Mentioned in this post
15,208 Reviews
New York City, NY