We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to New York

Tobago
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to New York

I'm travelling to New York in October for 4 nights staying next to grand centrel station,I'm now wanting to book sight seeing trips,can anyone recommend what to see and where to buy tickets, either when we arrive or from the u.k ? I've seen the hop I'm hop off bus is this worth it ? Can anyone recommend discount attraction ticket sites ??

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to New York

If you want to visit the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, you need to book in advance.

As for the Hop On/Hop Off buses, they might be worth it to get a sense of the city but they are not cheap & some would say your just as well, if not better off, just figuring out where you want to go. By all means, do not use them as basic transportation to get around.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to New York

Take a look at the Top Questions section to start getting an idea of what you might want to do and see. Your choices will depend on your personal preferences. You don't have to rely on organized tours or trips.

The discount passes are usually discouraged on the forum. Often the benefits are overstated and it tends to make people rush around doing only what is promoted by the pass vs what they might enjoy more.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to New York

If what you are asking about is the discount passes, read this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to New York

I am also going to New York from the UK in October and was wondering what is the best time of day to visit places like Empire state building and Top of the Rock?

is it better to go early morning to beat the queues or is it better to be up there later on to see sunset?!

any advise would be much appreciated.

Mark

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,639 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to New York

Top of the Rock at sunset. ESB either early in the morning or at night to beat the queues. Both are great if you have time for both.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
522 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to New York

Thanks for the advise Aynat62

much appreciated

7. Re: First time to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16