We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood birthday dinner

Woodhull,IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood birthday dinner

My birthday is on a Friday and we will be in NYC. I am a seafood fan, but my husband and daughter are less so. They do like fish, but not clams or other shellfish. I would like a nice dinner (not fried fish and chips!), but we are not bringing formal clothes, just business casual. I also would say that I would enjoy it more if the food was good, but the prices were reasonable. ($75 per person including a glass of wine OR LESS.) Being on a coast, instead of in Illinois, seems like I should be able to get a fresh fish dinner. We are staying in the upper east side, but are comfortable using the subway and buses to get anywhere.

Suggestions please?

Thanks so much for the help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

I really like this ..

http://citycrabnyc.com/

You will get many more suggestions here...!!!

Edited: 02 July 2014, 03:12
Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

I just walked by City Crab. The have a Prix fixe at $35 for dinner. Looked pretty busy!

I like Upstate or Marea. Or maybe Lure Fishbar? If you something really fancy that boasts seafood options, the Jean Georges lunch Prix fixe is $48.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 03:42
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

Jean Georges is a meal to remember, and worth every penny of that $48. Marea gets consistently high marks from people who know more than I do about fine dining, but I am not such a fan...

I thought Aquagrill in Soho was fantastic...oh just realized you're staying UES. Surely there will be some recs for that area...

Have a Happy Fishy Birthday !

Edited: 02 July 2014, 03:50
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

UES has Atlantic Grill which is pretty good too. It is on 77th and 3rd

atlanticgrill.com/menus-and-food/…menus

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,539 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

How about Mary's Fish Camp or Pearl's Oyster Bar in the Village. Smart casual may do, although who knows, the woman beside you may be Julianne Moore.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

Marea is fantastic, but quite fancy, not nearly within budget (more like $100 per at least) and resvs for this Friday won't be easy. Some of the best seafood dishes I've had in nyc came from Marea, and the steak popular as well

Esca is like Marea lite. Same concept without much of the glamour (ie chandeliers made China, not Murano). Owner recently opened Barchetta but better luck at Esca resvs wise

Mary's fish camp as WeQueen mentioned is probably your best bet for seafood centric

Some of the best seafood actually comes from non seafood restaurants like Louro and Gato. The latter would be a nice fun place for you but again.. probably too late for ressies.

Note, just because we are on the coast that doesn't mean we are flooded with great fresh seafood. This is not New Orleans, Seattle, Portland ME).

Edited: 02 July 2014, 12:07
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

Other options, Blue Water Grill and Blue Fin. (I like Esca best of your options, but the menu won't suit everyone.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

What kind of seafood do you want? There are places for good lobster dinners (ie some Spanish restaurants) that are not necessarily the same places I'd go for mussels or other fish. Many of the steakhouses have good lobster and seafood starters.

Woodhull,IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

Thank you so much everybody! TripAdvisor contributors always come through! Great suggestions!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood birthday dinner

"TripAdvisor contributors always come through" -- So true! And your question was precise and to the point prompting the best of the best answering this one, including a "Melchik" award winner.

Bravo. A round of applause for this one people!