We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Questions

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Questions

I'm visiting New York next month, and am currently deciding on restaurants. Opinions?

a) I'm planning to eat at the Grammercy Tavern at approximately 8:00 PM on a Sunday night. (the tavern, not the dining room). What wait time can I expect for a party of two?

b) I was planning to head to Keste for pizza on a Saturday night. I know that the restaurant does not take reservations--will the wait time be manageable or should I take this out of the itinerary?

c) Post-theatre crème brulee--I was thinking "Le Cirque Café." Is this a good plan?

d) After doing a sunset cruise, I was planning on walking down the High Line to the Standard Grill for a nightcap. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the High Line at night--is it safe, or would I be better off taking a cab?

Thanks in advance.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Questions

Where does your cruise dock?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Questions

W 42nd--right beside the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space museum.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Questions

If you make reservations at Grammercy Tavern, you shouldn't have any wait.

I would think, if you stuck to walking down 10th Ave, the walk would be safe. Just remember the park closes at 11 & the Park recommends to walk the whole High Line takes over 3 hours.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Questions

In the summer, the High Line closes at 11 PM. This goes down to 7 PM in winter. Will there be enough time?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Questions

i can't imagine walking the highline taking three hours unless you are stopping for a meal while you're up there.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Questions

I was looking into doing this & that's what their website says. I assume that they are assuming you will be stopping to look at the plantings & resting a while as well as stopping for refreshments.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Questions

My cruise finishes at 8:30...Google Maps is indicating that it's only a 20-minute walk from the start of the High Line to the Standard Grill. Is this completely off then?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Questions

No one can accurately tell you how long wait times will be for any given day/time frame.

At night streets will be active with folks doing here and there - they don't roll up the sidewalks - so yes it would be safe - just like anywhere else - keep your wits about you and proceed.

Poppa

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Questions

Keste can get busy and full but if you can eat earlier you should have no problems getting in. I think I got there around 6.30pm and got a table.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Questions

Gramercy Tavern doesn't accept reservations in the front (tavern) room. At 8 pm on a Saturday evening you'll probably wait over an hour, and even then may end up sitting at the bar rather than at a table. It gets packed. Come before 6:30 pm if you want to get seated fairly quickly.