We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

Just back from a week (including 2 days in DC). Thanks to everyone who helped on this forum, you may not even know you did! and for the questions I had which were all answered and much appreciated.

From spending months on this forum, I've picked up loads of things and instead of a probably boring trip report, ill give a view points about things I didn't pick up here that might help others.

- If you're taking the AirTrain in from JFK, make sure to have some small notes before. (We had all 20's) and don't forget. you pay to exit at Jamaica and then buy your MetroCard downstairs at the subway station. (The 00000 trick for your zip code works perfectly)

- Don't expect a dream New York taxi ride. Out of about 6 taxi rides, 5 of them were very rude and I felt robbed tipping them. The drive itself can be very uncomfortable and traffic in New York does not move!!

- Take the advise of locals when it comes to food on this forum and you can get some great food ! ( I would certainly recommend 5 napkin burger or Del Friscos)

- If you want to shop I would go somewhere like Jersey Gardens (very easy to get to via bus 111 from Port Authority) where we went as shopping in the city can be very unproductive.

- To anyone taking Amtrak from Penn, I loved it. Very easy and comfortable. You will have no problems.

- The subway is narrow and confusing so bring a map, it helped a lot. Also, the trains are a lot slower than the tube in London, I found.

- 9/11 museum was a fantastic moving tribute but to really appreciate it, leave three hours or more especially if including the memorial as well.

Hopefully someone might find one of my comments helpful at least! Had a fantastic time and thanks again to everyone who helped in my planning, you all are fantastic for the NYC tourism :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

Thank you! Very helpful. :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

**- Don't expect a dream New York taxi ride. Out of about 6 taxi rides, 5 of them were very rude and I felt robbed tipping them.**

Why did you consider them rude?

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

I was wondering the same thing, ter. Most of the time when I take a taxi, other than giving him my destination I don't say anything to the driver, and the driver says nothing to me, so I have no way of determining whether he is rude or not!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

^

Agree..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,120 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

Shopping in the city is unproductive? What makes you say that? I don't think I'll find what I want in Jersey Gardens, it just won't have the feeling of the city's vast offerings unless you just want mass market stores.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

**Shopping in the city is unproductive? What makes you say that? **

I think that many first time visitors feel that they have to go from A to B to C(often by train) to get to the places they want in the city. A "mall" type experience to some probably means everything is in 1 place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

I don't understand the "rude" taxi drivers either - am curious what they did or said that was rude.

I always get a bit of a huff and puff and eye roll when I jump in a taxi and let them know I'm going to Brooklyn but I always expect that and pay no attention; the rest of the ride is silent unless I need to give some directions.

Having lived in LA, one of the things I absolutely love about NYC is NOT having malls - I love the shopping as it is in the city; to each their own but to call it "unproductive" is really just an opinion, not fact. I find it - personally - very productive to shop in the city.

Will you be mentioning anything you did while here?

Edited: 03 July 2014, 15:04
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

**one of the things I absolutely love about NYC is NOT having malls**

^^

+1

Edited: 03 July 2014, 15:14
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,035 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

"The subway is narrow and confusing so bring a map, it helped a lot. Also, the trains are a lot slower than the tube in London"

Interesting observation as i found tube in London a lot slower. I have never seen a system with dedicated express lanes.

-- If you want to shop I would go somewhere like Jersey Gardens (very easy to get to via bus 111 from Port Authority) where we went as shopping in the city can be very unproductive

Another interesting observation. I have never been to Jersey Gardens as i get everything in the city itself.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from NYC! Extra things I picked up on my trip.

I hate mall shopping, I cannot stand them. But I love popping in and out of stores on the go, little boutique places you never find in malls. But label chasers tend to love the mall set up. To each there own. Though I have to say I do not use my travel trips to shop, I travel to see stuff and relax.

The taxi thing I do not get either. I get in, state my destination and then watch the news!!!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 15:39