We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building express pass

alberta
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Building express pass

Planning on going to ESB the evening we arrive which is a Sunday. I am wondering if the line ups would be long by supper /early evening. If it typically is would the express pass be extra money?

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Building express pass

I'd suggest going post supper for no lines and no need for express pass.

I've been there many times to take friends and family who never been there and the 5 times that I went around or after 10pm the place was empty. No line to get tickets and just a walk on to the next elevator.

My favorite view is at night. For day views Top of the rock is way better

Tampico, Mexico
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Building express pass

Don't buy the express ones, but if you're in a hurry with fam, go for it.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
227 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Building express pass

I can only give you our experience. Went also on a Sunday in April just before twilight. It was extremely crowded with very long lines. We had paid the extra for express passes and were very happy we did. Moved right through all stages (there are several) easy peasy. If you want to go later at night, after 10:00, no need at all for the express pass. So it depends what time you want to experience the visit whether or not the express pass is worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Building express pass

We've been twice with Express Passes. One time it was well worth it - 3 hour queues on a beautiful sunny day in early January. It was 5 degrees Celcius and there were a lot of very cold unhappy people in the line.

The second time was the next January and another lovely day - but this time - no queue so it was a waste. Go figure!

I think you can buy them online very soon before you decide to go. So you could see what the line is on the day and buy the Express tickets on line a little in advance if you need them.

Have to say it was fun being able to go past that long line. There are three queues - tickets, security and lifts ...actually there's two queues for the lifts, and then for the lift going down...you miss that one too.

alberta
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Building express pass

Thanks for the advise everyone. I may splurge for the express pass as we only have 3 days here and I would hate to spend 3 hours of it in line if I don't have too.

6. Re: Empire State Building express pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:17