We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Belfast
Level Contributor
169 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Background; We are a married couple, 32 and 33 – I think it’s our 6th visit. We visited in December past but when I saw direct flights for June for £360 I decided to just go for it again. We were lucky to secure the Lexington for $150 per night (before taxes) using the Marriott’s price claim guarantee. We have paid less for the Super 8 Park Slope in our last two visits but found the travelling in and out a little much. I’ve reviewed the hotel separately.

Our plan; 12 nights in NYC followed by 4 nights in DC. We got the Amtrak for around $115 return each.

Day 1 – Friday 13th June

Left Belfast at 11:20am for our flight to Newark. Everything went according to plan and we arrived into Newark around 3pm. Immigration was quick – we always seem to get lucky here and we made our way to our bus transfer to Newark Penn. This was not fun – there was severe traffic and we were stuck on the bus for around 45 minutes. Anyhow…got our train into New York Penn followed by one subway trip to 51st and Lexington and a short walk to our hotel. It was raining – boo – however, this was the only rain in our 16 night stay – woo hoo! We got upgraded at check-in, requested a coffee maker and fridge and finally unpacked. Starving by this stage we googled BareBurgers nearby…we’ve been craving one since December, found one just 14 short blocks away and made our way there. This one on 2nd Avenue (I think) wasn’t as nice as the Court Street one but still good. SP croquettes, an elk burger and a bison burger later…yummers. Walked back to our hotel for an early night to counter any potential jetlag.

Day 2 – Saturday 14th June

First things first, if you read my December report you may remember we CrossFit and we love doing it on holiday. We made our way to CF Hells Kitchen (where we trained in December) for the 10am class. It was around a 25 minute walk each day (8th Avenue and 36th Street) which was a lovely wee warm up. Loved our class, saw some familiar faces and joined for our 12 night stay.

Second meal of the trip; Fresh and Co., again, we loved this place for breakfast or lunch in December and it’s only 2 long blocks from our gym and on the way back to our hotel. Their huevos rancheros quinoa bowl is amazing and a great breakfast for around $7. Finally, back to the hotel, showered and ready we hopped on the subway down towards Washington Square Park. We had a lovely afternoon lying with our kindles, eating froyo and people watching etc. We walked all over Greenwich Village, SOHO, LES etc. (had a couple of macarons on Bleeker) before walking down to South Street Seaport via the Whole Foods on Houston Street (?) where we picked up a little picnic dinner for later. Our aim in South Street Seaport was see the movie at the Front Row outdoor cinema, The Breakfast Club. We got a little spot an hour ahead of the movie so Niall headed into a bar nearby to watch the football while I rested my weary feet. Loved the movie, eating our little boxes for dinner and finally made our way home via the subway.

Btw, I’m doing a global step challenge in work which involves wearing a pedometer for 100 days and recording my steps. I averaged around 36,000 steps a day which I was a little disappointed with – I was sure it would be much more.

Sunday 15th June

Smorgasborg!!! Sundays are rest day in the CF world so we enjoyed a lazy morning before heading over towards Brooklyn Bridge Park for Smorgasborg. In Summer 2012 we went to the Williamsburg location so decided to try this one for a change. We had a lovely afternoon in the sun eating. We had a watermelon drink, a ramen burger, a cone of fries with truffle salt, parmesan and aioli and a couple of wee indian pancake things. All very nice if a little expensive…We walked up through the Park towards the bridge before having a little ride on Jane’s Carousel. Beautiful!!

Eventually we walked the bridge towards Manhattan and made our way to C21 for a little shopping. We took the subway back to our hotel, got changed and headed to Mighty Quinns for dinner. OMG – amazing!!! We had a rack of ribs, ½ lb brisket, ½ lb burnt ends, burnt end beans, sweet potato casserole and a beer/cider each. Unreal! Better than Fete Sau in all aspects except the burnt end beans…We ate outside – beware, we were pestered a little by some homeless people to share our food which made me sad. We boxed up our leftovers, had a little walk around the East Village which we loved and headed back.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Nice start addict, especially food wise. Mighty Quinn's is certainly mighty but you need to come back asap for the pulled pork, and Brontosaurus Rib (one rib). Looking forward to reading more

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

It sounds like you had a very nice time in New York City! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Thanks for reporting.You ate some good food so far.

You don't think that 36,000 steps in NYC is a lot? That's a fair bit of walking.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

I think I took 23 steps today overall. How many calories is that?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

0.000005 give or take.

Belfast
Level Contributor
169 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Aw thanks guys. Nice to know someone's reading. And Ziggy, the best is yet to come! Your tour, woo hoo!!! Best day ever!

I am pleased with 36,000 as an average Aynat (my highest was 43,000) but I had thought it might be more like 50,000 per day. Oh well.

I'll post a bit more at lunch time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Pressure's on Ziggy....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Let's see whether the bribe paid off ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

I know 10,000 steps is the recommended daily amount to be healthy and lose some weight but 36,000 and even 43,000 is amazing.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 13th June to 25th June

Great report so far. Look forward to seeing more. Don't leave us hanging too long with that Ziggy teaser awaiting