We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York trip

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New York trip

Hi all,

I will be reaching JFK and next day would leave from LGA to Orlando, we are two adults and two kids 13 and 11, I am looking to rent a car for a day from JFK and drop to LGA, I will be staying for a day in Secaucus. Is it a good idea to rent a car to avoid airport transfers. We do have luggage as well, any ideas please, what is a better place to stay as well, I'll be in NYC again from 27 to 30 Augh

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York trip

Arshad, this is an absolutely terrible plan. If you are arriving in Queens and leaving from Queens, you do not want to stay in Secaucus!! Why not stay in Queens?? That way, you can avoid the rental car, and the nightmare of driving all the way across a city you don't know, only to drive back the next day.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York trip

What is your overall plan? What time of day do you arrive and when do you depart? Are you hoping to visit Manhattan during that short stay? Or are you just wanting a hotel to sleep overnight.

If hotel cost is a motivation for staying into Secaucus, have you factored in the full cost of the rental car (with drop off to a different location), insurance, etc? Plus it will be a major hassle.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York trip

I agree, a terrible plan. Secaucus is not only in another state but you have to cross Manhattan and get across two rivers. then you repeat the whole thing to get to LGA

Edited: 06 July 2014, 00:31
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York trip

A place like Flushing is nearby both JFK and LGA and would be a convenient stopping point. There are several new hotels here that have opened recently. The #7 subway from Flushing is about 30-45 mins. to Times Square. Unless you have someone you are visiting in Secaucus, there is not good reason to stay there as it is very inconvenient to the airports.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York trip

I am reaching JFK approx. 2 pm and I will leave from LGA by 8 30 to Orlando, I will be visiting back on 27 Aug and will stay until 30 Aug, again I'll reach LGA and will leave from JFK. I was looking for car rental option to avoid taxis from and to airport as we do have luggage and I might need to visit someone in Orange County. I appreciate all the help here, definitely I'll change hotel plan accordingly as per the replies here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York trip

OK...looks like 2 trips to NYC - the first is one night and the second is for 4 nights.

The car question and Secaucus seems to be about the first trip, but sounds like ArshadRafat is also considering a car for the second trip to (maybe) get to Orange County.

So I would start with working out your hotel for both trips. I agree that you should use a taxi for your trip to and from the airport both trips and then deciding how to get to Orange County if you need to in your second visit. Depending on your hotel you might be able to use public transport to and from the airport for one or both of your stays.

Re hotels: for your first one night stay you could stay in a hotel in Long Island City (LIC). This is a neighborhood of Queens - where both airports are. LIC is NOT Long Island - don't get them confused!

LIC is very close to Manhattan and if you do want to go into Manhattan on that first night, it's a quick trip using the subway.

You you could read the following advice about LIC hotels prepared by former TA regular GWB and updated a bit by other regulars on this Forum.

"The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street. New in this area from May 2014 is the Home2 Suites. The Nesva is recently opened and in this pocket too.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel.'

You could also choose one of those hotels for your second 4 night stay. But if you'd prefer to stay on Manhattan, give your budget and sleeping arrangements and we can help. Eg can the 11 and 13 year old share a double bed or a queen size bed or a king size bed? What size bed would the adults prefer? Would you like to stay in a hotel with suites so you have a separate bedroom and a kitchen or kitchenette?

The same questions could apply to that first night - but we'd need the date of that to give you useful ideas.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York trip

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for all the support provided, I will search for the hotels as recommended

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York trip

Good luck. Get back to us if you need any help.

Kayak.com is useful for finding hotels. After you put in your dates and the number of peoples, you can filter on price and area.

9. Re: New York trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15