We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Hi, I will be travelling to NYC from Australia in August with my Mother. I am in my early twenties. It is my first trip to NYC. I am looking for some advice/ tips based on my current itinerary.

Saturday 9 August:

Arrive in NYC at 9:30pm

Sunday 10 August:

The High Line

Chelsea Marketplace

Flatiron Building

Union Square

Empire State Building

Bryant Park

Grand Central Terminal

Chrysler Building

Monday 11 August:

Greenwich Village

Magnolia Bakery

9/11 Memorial and museum

Brooklyn Bridge

Tenement Museum

Tuesday 12 August:

Times Square

Top of the Rock Observation Deck

MoMA

Roosevelt Island Tram

Wednesday 13 August:

Look around Broadway

7pm- tickets booked for Book of Mormon

Thursday 14 August:

The American Museum of Natural History

Central Park

The Met

Madison Avenue

The Guggenheim

5th Avenue

Friday 15 August:

Statue of Liberty

Saturday 16 August:

No plans

Sunday 17 August:

New Amsterdam Market

Monday 18 August:

Leave NYC

I am wondering if I am trying to fit too much into some days- as you can see we have some free time towards the end of our trip.

I am also looking at the best way to see all these things- I've looked at the New York Pass, the Citypass New York and the Smart Destinations passes and I can't work out which (if any) of the passes is the best for what we want to do.

I am also a bit confused about the best way to visit the statue of liberty- some of the above mentioned passes seem to include it however I can't work out if they simply include the ferry there of it they also include entry.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Yes, I think you have too much packed in to your first two days, and not enough in some of the rest.

For example, on Monday, you could move Greenwich Village to another day, allowing you more time to explore there rather than rushing through.

I would move your trip to the Tenement Museum to a different day, allowing you to explore the Lower East Side while you are there.

Plan to see Times Square at night when it is all lit up. It would be convenient the night you see Book of Mormon.

"Look around Broadway" on Wednesday - not sure what you have in mind there. Broadway is a street that runs many, many, miles across Manhattan. If you mean the area of Broadway around Times Square - there's really not a lot to see.

On Saturday when you have no plans, consider a visit to the Brooklyn Flea and Smorgasburg.

DO NOT plan to do three great museums in one day (even if it may look convenient on the map). Spread them out.

The general consensus here on the passes is that they are not a good idea. For one, they may send you willy-nilly on a bunch of excursions you may never have chosen otherwise. As well, you may feel the need to go on these excursions as you want "good value" for what you have spent.

Having said that, my first trip to the city, not knowing any of this, I did have a pass(CityPass) and it worked out fine for us. I was not a slave to it.

The only way to see if it is worthwhile dollarwise is to price out what you want to do separately, and compare it to the cost of the pass.

Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,719 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

You could also try and get a Tenement Museum tour straight after the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, that way you can spend as long as you want with the Brooklyn Bridge afterwards rather than having to rush back to the LES because of the reserved tour.

Or walk the Brooklyn Bridge after your SOL day. www.statuecruises.com is the official place to buy tickets. The tickets include the ferry to Liberty and Ellis Islands and also a visit into the statue or up to the crown, depends which ticket you buy.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 23:40
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

@mcwhippet- thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have taken almost all of your suggestions! May I ask, what is Smorgasburg? I've discovered that the Guggenheim is closed on Thursday so it was an easy decision to move it to another day!

I have amended my itinerary as follows:

Saturday 9 August

Arrive in NYC at 9:30pm

Sunday 10 August

The High Line

Chelsea Marketplace

Flatiron Building

Union Square

Empire State Building

Bryant Park

Grand Central Terminal

Chrysler Building

Monday 11 August

Tenement Museum → early so as to allow time to explore the area afterwards

9/11 Memorial and museum → late afternoon

Brooklyn Bridge → evening

Tuesday 12 August

Times Square (by day)

MoMA

Roosevelt Island Tram

Wednesday 13 August

Greenwich Village

Magnolia Bakery

7pm- Book of Mormon

Times Square (by night)

Thursday 14 August

Central Park

The Met

Madison Avenue

5th Avenue

Friday 15 August

Statue of Liberty

The Guggenheim

Saturday 16 August

Brooklyn Flea Market

Smorgasburg

Sunday 17 August

New Amsterdam Market

Monday 18 August

Leave NYC

Also, regarding the passes, do they allow you to skip queues or anything like that? I can see how that might be a good reason to get one however if not I will take your advice and leave it.

@aynat62- thanks so much for your help! As you can see above I have moved the Tenement Museum to before the 9/11 memorial and museum- I will aim to get a tour in the morning there and one in the late afternoon at the 9/11 museum so that we have some time to explore both areas without feeling too rushed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Tuesday 12 August:

Times Square

MoMA

Roosevelt Island Tram

The beautiful FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park on the southern tip of Roosevelt Island is CLOSED on Tuesday....it takes up the entire Southern tip of RI....the place with the views down the East River and to the bridges.

So I would definitely reschedule that to not miss out.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Read this article on attraction passes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Also, those two museums and all that other stuff on Saturday is still too much, and then you have the whole day for a market.....

i was curious so looked it up....doesn't look like it's open on the 17th.... http://www.newamsterdammarket.org/events.html

I'd suggest going to the Met Museum on Friday as it's open late that day....

Don't forget to spend time watching the 1/2 hour doco at the Tenement Museum ..and enjoy the gift/book shop there.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

A few comments on your revised itinerary.

Sunday:

- Doing ESB that afternoon will likely mean very long lines. Consider doing it late at night instead. That may be a nicer contrast with daytime views from TOTR.

- Chrysler building: The lobby is impressive, but only open during M-F business hours. You may want to do this another day.

Tuesday:

- Have you checked tour schedules at the Tenement Museum? There are more tours during the afternoon than morning. You may find that you want to start with 911 memorial, then do Tenement Museum. Or move it to another day as aynat suggested. It would fit well enough with your Statue of Liberty day, though it's more common for people to do SOL and 911 memorial on the same day.

Book timed tickets with pedestal access at Statuecruises.com Passes do not cover pedestal or crown access, and they are untimed tickets, which can result in longer waits. It will be too late for crown access tickets. They sell out quickly.

Thursday:

- Doing the Met and AMNH is too much in one day. They are both huge. Museum overload! You could do one of them + Central Park and that would be a full day. Consider moving the other big museum to your MoMA day. That's a much smaller museum. It might pair well with AMNH.

Friday:

- Unless there is a particular exhibit at the Guggenheim that appeals to you, you may want to reconsider. It's completely out of your way, and does not have as wide an appeal as the other museums. Plus, you're doing a lot of museums!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

You are very welcome, Nadia. :)

Smorgasburg is a food market, full of individual vendors that sell ready-to-eat food and drink, and also farmer's market style, some prepared foods - jars of sauce and jam, beef jerky, etc. Great food, but the visiting and people watching is just as much fun.

There are two sites - one in Williamsburg in conjunction with the Brooklyn Flea on Saturdays, the other on Sundays at Brooklyn Bridge Park.

More info is here

http://www.smorgasburg.com/

A cute video is here:

brooklynflea.com/2013/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Hi everybody thanks again for all your help! Here my my re-updated itinerary- I've had a look at the tenement museum tours and moved lots of things around according to the suggestions you've all be kind enough to give. I've tried to keep Sunday free for any last minute things we want to do or any things we don't end up getting to earlier in the trip. Let me know your thoughts :)

Saturday 9 August

Arrive NYC 9:30pm

Sunday 10 August

The High Line

Chelsea Marketplace

Flatiron Building

Union Square

Bryant Park

Grand Central Terminal

Empire State Building- night

Monday 11 August

Chrysler Building

Times Square- by day

MoMA

Roosevelt Island Tram

Tuesday 12 August

Central Park

The Met

Madison Avenue

5th Avenue

Wednesday 13 August

Greenwich Village

Magnolia Bakery

7pm- Book of Mormon

Times Square- by night

Thursday 14 August

9/11 Memorial and museum (AM)

Brooklyn Bridge

4:45pm- Sweatshop Workers tour at the Tenement Museum

6:30pm- ‘Tastings at the Tenement’

Friday 15 August

Statue of Liberty

The Guggenheim

Saturday 16 August

Brooklyn Flea Market

Smorgasburg

Sunday 17 August

(free)

Monday 18 August

Leave NYC

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough Itinerary 9-18 August and NYC attraction passes

Friday 15 August

I would move one of those "museums" to either Wednesday or Sunday(17th.)