We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Trip in August

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
New York Trip in August

Hi All

I know that some of this does not apply to the New York forum but please bear with me.

Our daughter is coming to the states in August to study at UConn for a year and we are coming to drop her off. We are fying in to New York on 13th Aug and then going to UConn on 17th Aug - we plan to make this trip my train to Hartford then hiring a car for a couple days whilst we are in the UConn area. Do we need to book the train tickets in advance? Is that possible for UK residents?

My wife and I then plan on visting Boston (4 night), Philadelphia (2 nights) and Washington (4 nights) and as all of these are big cities we plan on travelling to them via train - is that recommended (and possible) or should we hire a car? Would you recommend this Itinerary?

Our fixed dates are

Fly into New York on 13th August

Go to UConn on 17th August

19th August to 29th August - Boston, Philadelphia and Washington

Fly out of Washington on 29th August evening

Any help and advice on this trip/itinerary would be very welcome.

Jay

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,086 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Trip in August

You would be taking the Amtrak Northeast Regional Train from NYC to Hartford. www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train

Yes, you can purchase tickets in advance, and will save some money by doing so, as they get more expensive closer to the date of the trip.

After Hartford/UConn you could continue on to Boston by Amtrak or car. (Although there may be a fee for dropping the rental car at a different location.)

However, rather than return south by train, you should look into flying from Boston to DC and then taking Amtrak from DC to Philadelphia and then return to NYC. It may just as cheap and certainly a better use of travel time.

Be aware there is an Acela (express train), you cannot use it on the first leg of your journey as it does not stop in Hartford. You could however use it from DC to Philly to NYC. It is a bit faster, although not everyone thinks it is worth the premium fare. http://www.amtrak.com/acela-express-train

Edited: 06 July 2014, 23:58
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Trip in August

P.S. Other than your time at UConn, a car will not be a requirement unless there are specific things you want to outside or in between any of these cities. These are some of the (few) American cities that are well served by public transport

And just realized you are departing from DC, so look into flying Boston to Philly, before you decide to spend all those hours on the train.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 00:03
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Trip in August

Thanks Kaye_in_Astoria

Sound advice. I was thinking of train from Boston to Philly to see more of the country but flying might be better.

Jay

4. Re: New York Trip in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16