We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Topic
JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

Hi

JKF to 45th st hotel; room mate grace 125 West 45th Street, Times Square,

We are arriving from Dublin after a long flight we want a quick service / clean / safe service to our hotel.

How would you recommend we get there?

I am thinking taxi, could you please tell me how much I can expect to pay for this taxi ..

Would it b cheaper to arrange a return pickup with a private hire company ?

Any suggestions welcome

Thank you

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

**I am thinking taxi, could you please tell me how much I can expect to pay for this taxi**

$65-$70 with tip.

You can catch a taxi back for the same price. Just ask the hotel to hail one for you before you come down to check out or you can hail one on your own.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

There are no discounts for ound trip bookings. Taxis are flat rate plus tip and toll. Make sure to use the oficial taxi stand outside the terminal. Never accept a ride from someone who approaches you. You can book a car service like

Allstatelimo.com

for about the same price but you'll need to phone them when you're ready to leave the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

Thanks guys.

I just saw my typo *JFK* rather !!

Taxi is the way to go then?

If I was to go by public transport or coach etc what travel time could I expect at what cost ?

Thanks again

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

When does your flight arrive? Depending on time of day and day of the week the AirTrain/subway combination may be as fast as the taxi. The AirTrain monorail from your JFK terminal to Jamaica costs $5.00 per person.

For the subway, if you're in NYC for more than a couple of days you'll want a weekly unlimited Metrocard ($31 per person.) This would include the subway from Jamaica to your hotel, so the incremental cost would be zero.

If you're only in the city for a shorter length of time you can get pay per ride Merocards, and one fare would be $2.50.

So the AirTrain/subway will either cost $5 per person or $7.50 per person. Estimate about an hour from the airport to the hotel. Since you're coming from Dublin you won't have any wait for Customs, but you will need to reclaim your luggage so it will be more than an hour from the time your flight reaches the gate.

If you want subway directions, you take the AirTrain to Jamaica, where you'll pay for the AirTrain when you get off. Then go down to the subway where you'll buy your Metrocard. Take the E train headed toward the World Trade Center. Get off at any one of a number of stops (Union Turnpike/Kew Gardens is one good alternative.) Wait, on the same platform and probably the same track, for an F train.

Take the F to 47th Street/Rockefeller Center. Exit at the front end and you'll be at 47th Street & 6th Avenue. Walk two short blocks south on 6th Avenue (aka Avenue of the Americas) and turn right on 45th Street. Your hotel will be on that block.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 16:43
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

Thanks for that info.

we arrive at 1.30pm (leaving airport around 2.30pm judging by your info above) and it's a Friday we arrive?

Wow that price is very differnt to the taxi fare.

We have never used the subway in NYC before. Don't use public transport at home either.

Will it be safe to travel this way? Espically as we will have our suitcases and will very clearly look like tourists !

Also how straightforward is all that subway hoping listed above :) what are our chances of getting it wrong ha

Thanks guys

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

**Will it be safe to travel this way? Espically as we will have our suitcases and will very clearly look like tourists**

Yep.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

The chances of getting it wrong are about ZERO. The trains have a big E and then a big F on them. They stop on the same track alternating. Just change at "71st Avenue-Forest Hills" and you will have no problems.

Here are the three steps again:

Airtrain that says "JAMAICA" to the end of it (10 minutes, pay $5 to exit)

Go to Subway system for an "E" train (blue circle signs with an E in them). Pay to enter the subway and take an E train for 8 minutes to "71st Avenue Forest Hills". Get off.

Wait there in the exact same place for the next train that says "F". Take that train for 20 minutes to the station that says "47th-50th St Rockefeller Center". If you miss it get off at "42nd St" and it's the same walk to W 45th. Both stations are at 6th Avenue.

The subway is a fixed underground transit system that runs down main avenues in New York and you always know where you are, even if you get "lost", because you can always get a connecting train to where you really want to go without leaving the system. Because the trains run along numbered streets and avenues and have only a limited number of stops, it is easier than knowing a bus system.

Here is the map and service guide:

…mta.info/nyct/…subwaymap.pdf

http://web.mta.info/maps/service_guide.pdf

You hotel is between 6th and 7th Avenues on West 45th Street. West 45th runs west from 5th Avenue to 12th Avenue. On the other side of 5th Avenue, E. 45 St run from 5th to 1st. It's almost an exact grid.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 22:38
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

thank you all so much for this info

i think we will get the airtrain / subway - if anything it will be an experience as ive never used either.

Am very nervous of public transport so usually resort to taxis when away

thanks again

9. Re: JKF to Room mate grace 45th street. Taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2015, 06:20