We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Dear all,

I have a question. I would like to a sunday trip of Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters and I do not if it works. Please give me some advices.

27-Jul Sun 9:30 1 The Cloisters

11:30 2 St. John Cathedral

14:00 3 Columbia University

15:00 4 Central Park

16:00 5 Metropolitan Museum of Art (10:00-21:00)

I will buy a CityPass to redeem a ticket of Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Cloisters is the branch of Metropolitan Museum, so it is free to visit The Cloisters on the same day if I get a ticket of Metropolitan Museum of Art. Here are my concerns:

1. Can I redeem a normal ticket of Metropolitan Museum of Art, so I can also go to The Cloisters for free?

2. Can I redeem a ticket of Metropolitan Museum of Art in The Cloisters? To have better time management, I would like to visit The Cloisters first beacause Metro open until 9:00pm on Sunday.

Thankssss!!!!

Carmen

New York City
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

You want to do that in one day?

The Cloisers is pretty far from anything else, Maybe you can do the Cloisters and the Met in the same day (Not so easy to get from one to the other as they are on different sides of Manhattan and the Met is about a 10-15 walk to nearest Subway). The Cloisters is about a 10 min walk to nearest Subway

1 Hour in Central Park is not enough,Ive only been to St Johns the Devine once and its also kinda of remote, I dont know how long one must spend there

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

The Cloisters does not open until 10 AM, the same as the Met's Main Building on Fifth Ave. To quote the website:

"Fee includes admission to The Cloisters museum and gardens and same-day admission to the Main Building. There is no extra charge for entrance to exhibitions."

The Cloisters is a small museum and an hour might be enough. It is located in a park with some attractive views of the Hudson.

The Met is opened late only on Fridays and Saturdays when it clears the galleries at 20:45. Other days, this is at 17:15. This museum requires a lot of time as it is immense.

Columbia University does not have a great deal to see, though you should not miss interior of the central domed building. This is open to the public unlike other campus buildings. Central Park starts almost across the street from the cathedral, but most people want to see things in the lower half below 81st St.

Mentioned in this post
Hudson
Hudson
New York
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Here's a little quirk---a ticket at the Met's Main Building allows you a visit to the Cloisters for a week, not just the same day.

"Fee includes admission to the Main Building and same-week admission to The Cloisters museum and gardens. There is no extra charge for entrance to exhibitions."

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,313 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

I was also going to correct you about opening times etc. The Met is NOT open late on Sundays, only Fri and Sat. Both open at 10 am on Sundays. You can't possibly do this all in one day but you can go to the Cloisters on another day in the same week with the pass as I read it.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 13:46
Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

On Sundays, the Cathedral of St John the Divine has its main worship service at 11:00. It will certainly be still going on at 11:30 (and will probably not end until around 12:15 or 12:30.). Since you are arriving late, it does not seem that you will be going there for that, and it really isn't quite appropriate to sightsee in a church in the middle of a religious service. If you want to visit St. John's, I suggest that you should reschedule for another time.

Linda

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Before you purchase the City Pass read this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Also note, although they are not even remotely in the same area, admission to the Met Museum is also good for admission to the Cloisters which I believe is good for one week. I think that also works in reverse.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Just a side note, the Cloisters is one of my favorite museums in the City and I know many tourists really dont go there because its remote, but if you need to elimate sites Id elimate Columbia Univeristy and St John's the Devine and go to the Cloisters

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

Thanks!!!!

Thank you, fox11354, nywhiz, anutLindaV, Cyblume and howardform.

All your replies are so helpful and up-to-date. I am going to reschedule, a big change! Still have 14 days left to NY and this is my first travel to US.

I am christian and addicted to christian art, so I am looking forward to visiting the Cloisters and having worship in St. John.

In the original plan, on the day, I don't want to spend too much time on Central Park, just on the way from Metro to the subway line "A".

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

The Met's Main Building has a sizeable Medieval display in addition to what the Cloisters has. There are also Byzantine items that may interest you. The fun part is the display under the Grand Stairway where the bricks and stone are a nice background for the objects.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 18:39
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Cloisters

How about one day for St. John, Riverside Church, and the Cloisters. And a separate day for the Met.

Mentioned in this post
Riverside Church
Riverside Church
130 Reviews
New York City, NY