We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer - Itinerary

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
First Timer - Itinerary

Hi everyone,

Me and my partner will be going on our first trip to New York in September as part of our honeymoon and I have been working on a wee itinerary for the 3 days we will be there. I wonder if you could have a look over it and suggest any changes?

I'm not sure whether I have given too much/too little time to some parts of our days. We haven't booked anything yet other than the tour with a toy soldier, so nothing is set in stone.

Day 1

Arrive at 2 pm – travel to hotel and check in

3 pm – Explore around our hotel – Time Square, Grand Central Station, Shops

7 pm – Dinner (suggestions?)

9 pm – Empire State Building

Day 2

9 am - Breakfast (suggestions?)

10 am – Staten Island Ferry to see SOL (is there anything else to do around this area as we have a couple of hours.)

12 pm – Lunch (suggestions?)

1 pm – Take subway over to Brooklyn and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge

3 pm – 9/11 Memorial and Museum

6 pm – Dinner (suggestions?)

7 pm – Wicked/Show

Day 3

9 am - Tour with a Toy Soldier

10 am – Top of the Rock (not sure how long this will take?)

1 pm – Lunch (suggestions?)

2 pm – Explore Central Park

4 pm – Shopping and Dinner (suggestions for dinner?)

7 pm – Yankee game (how long does it take ot get to the stadium?)

Day 4

Check out and breakfast (I don't imagine we'll have a lot of time to do anything other than a leisurley breakfast and making our way to th eairport.)

Flight at 1 pm

Thanks everyone

Mel

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Day 3

>>>10 am – Top of the Rock (not sure how long this will take?), 1 pm – Lunch (suggestions?), 2 pm – Explore Central Park<<<

After you are finished visiting the Top of the Rock Observation Deck, you could walk over to Carnegie Deli to pick-up sandwiches, pickles and cheesecake. Walk up to Central Park, not too far away and enjoy a nice picnic.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 12:36
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

For dinner suggestions we need your budget & preferred cuisines.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

For dinner I would recommend Basso56, its a small enough Italian restaurant in midtown with great food and wine selections.

You could go to a nice Thai restaurant, I have tried "Land" on the upper east side, it is very popular and great prices however the dining room in small and somewhat crammed.

You could also try Buddakan or Tao for a nice chinese meal, you will recognise Buddakan from Sex and the City if you are a fan. Tao has amazing cocktails and a pretty impressive giant statue in the restaurant.

Smith & Wollensky is quite nice for steak too but I haven't tried it myself.

You could also treat yourselves to a nice meal in The River Cafe, it has amazing views over manhattan and something romantic for your honeymoon.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Thanks for eveyrones responses so far, really like the idea od the picnic in central park and cocktails!

I'm not really sure what my budget would be, we normally spend about 40-50 on dinner for the two of us, more on special occasions. How much would that be in dollars? We'd definately want to go for something really nice on one evening, lunches, we're quite casual with. We'll have about £2000 spending money for New yorkm, Washington and Miami (10 days), does that sound like enough?

Thanks

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

I just noticed that you have dinner scheduled at 6 with Wicked at 7. This is not enough time unless you just want to grab a slice of pizza since the doors will open at 6:30. I would have an early dinner at 5 perhaps at Bar Americain which is on 52nd between 6th & 7th or wait & have a late supper.

Reservations are recommended.

baramericain.com/new-york-city-restaurant/me…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Your Day 2 is way too tight, especially the afternoon.

People have reported spending a good 3+ hours at the 911 memorial museum. You are planning it at 3pm, then you have yourself eating dinner at 6pm for a 7pm curtain. (You should be aiming to be at the theater at about 6:30-6:45 and you need time to travel back to the Theater District).

It's also possible that you may want to change and freshen up before the theater. Though there is no strict dress codes, you might feel like you'd prefer to wear something different than whatever you wore to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do the 911 memorial museum just before theater. It may (and perhaps should) have a profound impact on you. I haven't been yet, but will probably go my next trip and will not have a tight plan of lighthearted things to race to afterward.

Even if the timing weren't an issue, you spent a small fortune on those Wicked tickets and your frame of mind may be affected coming right from the museum.

Here's an idea... If the 911 memorial museum is really something you want to do, then do it first. Then go on the SI Ferry. It will be a time to unwind. You might even consider doing a tourist cruise for good views of the SOL rather than taking the commuter ferry.

You may not have time to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Play that by ear. I don't know the water taxis and other boat options well enough to know whether it's possible to get a good view of the SOL then zip over to Brooklyn using the same provider. It might be.

Day 3 is more reasonable, except I think that expecting to have "shopping" and dinner at 4pm is probably not going to work. Shopping takes time. You'd want to drop off purchases before heading to Yankee Stadium.

Consider just eating dinner at the stadium. 4pm is awfully early for dinner after a 1pm lunch anyway.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Sorry, got interrupted and it took way too long to post that. I see cyblume already noticed your schedule problem for dinner before Wicked.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

**Your Day 2 is way too tight, especially the afternoon.

People have reported spending a good 3+ hours at the 911 memorial museum. You are planning it at 3pm, then you have yourself eating dinner at 6pm for a 7pm curtain. (You should be aiming to be at the theater at about 6:30-6:45 and you need time to travel back to the Theater District).**

^^

+1.

The other option is to just get an earlier start that day.

-Breakfast at 7 in the SI Ferry area.

-Ferry at 8.

-Brooklyn(explore DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights) and back over the bridge before lunch.

-Lunch at 12.

-9/11 memorial and Museum at 1.

-Lets say that you are done by 4.

-Hotel/change for Wicked.

-Dinner at 5-5:30.

-Wicked at 7.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Thanks, I hadn't factored in the time for the doors opening at all.

I'm trying not to start day 2 too early, as we will likely be quite tired after the flight the day before, but as you have suggested, I will switch my morning around a bit, get to Brooklyn a bit earlier and maybe grab a quick lunch there before making our way back and to the memorial earlier.

how long is the wait likely to be at top of the rock? my day 3 is hopefully going to be a more relaxed day, walking round the park, popping into shops here and there, stopping for food when we're hungry, if we have a lot for lunch we may not even feel like anything for dinner

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer - Itinerary

Hi Mellypoos,,

On your first day you arrive at 2pm. I think it is unlikely that you will be at your hotel and ready for out till 4pm. Keep in mind the time difference of 5 hours means you are intending going to the Empire state building at 9pm so that's 2 in the morning. Queueing at 2am(UK time) is not ideal. I would wait and see how you feel. I never plan to stay up that late the First night but perhaps you sleep a bit on the plane. I am always too excited.

I would also consider starting at 911 on day 2. You could use the NY water taxi and use it to go over to Brooklyn after passing SOL. It is better than SI ferry for photo opportunities as it caters for tourists.

Which hotel are you staying in? That will help give advice a to where to grab breakfast.

Another option for picking up a picnic lunch for Central Park is Whole Foods @ Columbus Circle at the south west corner of the park.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 10:43